Beef Ribs

Jeremy Calow

TVWBB Super Fan
Asked by the missus to do some Beef Ribs for dinner today. First thing this morning it was absolutely chucking down with rain so I was a bit worried, but things have brightened up so time to get these darned things out there.

Starting up the chimney with my standard Royal Oak brickets.

I0000D3Dkzonu7Uc.jpg

Today I will be testing some new coconut brickets for the duration of this smoke on Suzie, the 18.5" WSM
Using "Blackstone Coconut brickets" which are more like charcoal tubes

I0000YHpEespw4fM.jpg

I0000dOkhvNR9DUk.jpg

Best minion I could do with these, with some white oak and sugar maple for smoke.

I0000RjbBqTfaqqA.jpg

These were packaged as "grilling ribs" but they are super trimmed backs and we usually have these cooked on the kettle but I needed to try this charcoal for a bigger cook so on they go for the smoking.

I0000fbkDzuy8Z_M.jpg

Seasoned with some steak spice and a locally made bbq rub.

I'll update later when they get pulled off to get eaten!

So here we are all caught up.

Smoked the ribs at 325 for 3 hrs, nice pull back and they were delightful looking.

I0000R270EBAxZAE.jpg

Left them to rest for a bit while I spun up some sides, some noodles and some duck fat fried sprouts... Brussels that is!

I0000lVvU8g0NAt0.jpg

That's one darn fine looking plate of ribs

I0000jlT1URIGBY4.jpg

And here's your plate!
I0000IOCe7aLbIKo.jpg

The brickets worked great once lit, and royal oak is junk to light em... just not hot enough, which I've been complaining to the wife about for a while. But you can't beat the price around here. One day I'll stop buying them, one day...

Thanks kindly guys, I'd say I hit the mark with dinner.

Tom if you canfind these I think they will serve you well. I used to use Charcos bricks quite a lot, and they had the same slow start, but both burn very consistently with little ash! I wouldnt use them for grilling just due to the slow start but for smokes they work like a charm.

Great looking plate Jeremy. Interesting I've never seen those coconut brickets before, but I did discover that Royal Oak does not work well for L&S cooks they just don't want to lite off each other. Fine for grilling though.

Jeremy, you sure delivered on that cook after your "before" pics! I've used extruded coconut lump in the past that had similar characteristics to what you describe.....especially the tough to light part!

Great cook!

R

That charcoal looks a lot like “Pok Pok Thaan” charcoal from Thailand, that’s made from rambutan wood. I like the coconut stuff idea, probably can’t get it around here! Getting the Thai stuff is crazy expensive ($3.00/lb)and I had to get it from Amazon!
I will have to do a little snooping, long burning “tubes” like that looks like a good experiment. I’ve still not used my Thai stuff but, I will probably save it for use on the GA for skewer stuff.

Rich D - totally agree, I am happy to use RO on the kettle but they just don't have the getup for longer cooks.. I end up having to prop the door on the WSM open and stoke every so often to get the secondary charcoal lit. Once it transfers to the other charcoal I can usually let it run it's course with little issue, but getting it started is tough. Back to the more expensive stuff for the smoker I guess.

Rich G - Thank ya, I agree the coconut bricks I've used all have that same tough light characteristic. But with the old old RO recipe, I never had an issue. I also had enough bags of charcoal laying around that I had backups to my backups. Now that I am on the newer stuff it just doesn't seem to want to help out anymore. Such is life.

Timothy - That does sound about right, and I was thinking of that same thing looking at some of the pictures of my wife's travels. I was buying the coconut stuff just cause of the low fine ash characteristics in the past - so for the longer burns I wasn't soo worried about a ton of accumulation. It just became my thing, till they replaced the good old bricks with these. But so far I'm still happy, to the point I'll be picking up a few more boxes in the coming weeks to really put through the paces.

Back