Finally got the Q320 going

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
OK not a full "restore" I just wanted to get to full functionality more than cosmetics. So worked more yesterday on the Q320 I traded my Q220 to Bruce for. After MANY hours chiseling carbon and such off the grates than hitting them with the cup brush on my HF angle grinder cleaning out all the stuff inside and then getting it good and hot and a good wipe down and seasoning with plenty of grape seed oil (multiple heat up, oil, cool, wipe down, repeat) cycles I did y first cook. Got some top sirloin from Sam's and for you GrillGrate junkies please note the marks. Also note I had the Q on LOW it was not even turned up to higher heat levels. The steaks were tender and juicy with a perfect crust. Quite pleased with this Q. Thanks Bruce! I hope you enjoy that Q220 red head as much as I already enjoy this one. BTW one difference I noted is the handle on the 320 seems to get hotter than I expected
Enjoy the photos

LiUSzs5.jpg

C59d2Ow.jpg

osYX3Oh.jpg

rokaHjX.jpg

sgMCo8o.jpg

Y295yPr.jpg

ELH10fX.jpg

AzM3WAO.jpg

z1lM1VR.jpg

L8mZMZI.jpg

What!!! No cross hatching on those steaks??? Seriously, you’re going to really enjoy that grill, know that I enjoy mine....

Yah, I did Ribeyes on your 220 last night. I did get cross hatched sear marks on one side. Just singles on the other side. I didn't want them to get too well done. I wish I had taken photos.

You did a good job on those grates. I need to do a general clean on the 220. The burners have a hard time lighting past 3/4 of the tube. Must be two or three ports that are clogged in a row there. Once it jumps those, it does fine. But, a general cleaning will fix that and get the grates nice and clean as well.

Yeah like I had said I had not had a chance to actually pull that burner and do a thorough cleaning of the tub and burner. I meant to but other things kept popping up. I did do crosshatch on those steaks BTW I just happened to take the photos prior to it.
I think the grates in there now will be able to give me another year or 2 and than I might spring for and aftermarket cast stainless steel grate I saw https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B074S5484G/tvwb-20
I think they might actually be worth the investment

I seem to remember many reviews complaining that they are not thick enough. But I bet they would lay down some nice sear marks.

Larry, those grates look spectacular! Great workmanship in bringing them back to perfect.

I have personally found that the big Q has a lot more horse power than the 200/2000s. Not that the 200/2000 series can’t do great grilling and searing, you just have to be more patient. With the 300/3200 it is more a question of not overdoing it. At least that is what I have found.

Nice, Larry!

It was only today that I found out why the cooking surface has those closed off areas. They are there to keep grease from dripping directly onto the burners.

Yep, they do look good and they're working grate err great :D Anyway did indirect cook on it for the first time last night. First up was asparagus a little EVOO, coarse salt and some granulated garlic and onto the grill both burners low direct heat came out delirious and beautifully seared. Than I made a small foil packet of some wood chips (hickory) turned off the center burner placed the foil packet on the grate and waited for it to begin emitting smoke. Kept only the outside ring burner on low and placed the chop in the center. I picked up a package of the very thick (2") pork ribeyes I get at Sam's. They look exactly like an actual ribeye but piggy not beef. Anyway they take well to a lower slower type of cook with a little smoke. I also used the Weber KC Rub on it. A nice peaceful dinner (no wife and kids) and a very nice Polish Beer. Sorry forgot to take photos.
Anyway I am very pleased with that Q320. Only complaint is it's a little more awkward to move. I can't understand why Weber didn't design the cart with a handle

I have the same complaint about the Q300 series mobility. Too bad that it doesn’t have 4 wheels instead of two, and you can’t put casters on the non wheel side because it woud go out of level—-

Too bad they didn't make a locking bar with casters. Step on a pedal move the grill unlock the pedal and casters retract grill level and stationary. While the size is very convenient and the performance is outstanding the ergonomics of moving it leave so much to be desired. It's damn heavy and awkward

Too bad they didn't make a locking bar with casters. Step on a pedal move the grill unlock the pedal and casters retract grill level and stationary. While the size is very convenient and the performance is outstanding the ergonomics of moving it leave so much to be desired. It's damn heavy and awkward

I just picked up an old Q320 and totally agree on moving the thing around. I was wondering if I missed something as I keep wanting to pull it by the side table and it keeps popping up and out. I'm thinking is there an easier way, or what were they smoking when they came up with the design? Maybe retrofitting some larger wheels and then have room for some smaller ones on the other side? Just thinking out loud.
Joe

I have thought about exactly something like that BUT if you're anal like me about being "level" that would make me nuts. In order to accomplish what that guy did his grill is always about 3/4" off level from side to side. Maybe for some not a big thing but for me total aggravation which is why I would want it to be able to "flip" down, be able to move the grill around and flip back up so grill is locked, stable and level

Larry, I would probably be stressed over the slant as well. However I can think of a couple of solutions. First, you could cut about 3/4" off the plastic leg bottoms. Second, you could find yourself a couple of the larger grill wheels for the other side to compensate. I think a standard Silver B, genesis 1000 wheel is a little taller than the Q3xx wheels. For stability, you would then want to get caster wheels on the other side that have the locks on them.

Oh I know it, but I am so busy that is not a priority for me. I've never even gotten to putting together a side burner for that 2000 you found for me, or even doing much more than converting it to NG and using it

Oh, you converted it to NG?
I have a Genesis 1000-5000 NG manifold and hose if anyone else is looking to convert from propane to NG.

COuld definitely use the manifold. I did my conversion "quick and dirty" (I did not modify the valves) so I have to be cautious when trying to do a low/slow cook. Having a true NG manifold would be nice :D Remember do as I say not as I do. And, for others wondering............................I have had some scary flameouts but thankfully no kabooms. Only because I forget it's not a true NG grill and have had the burner(s) go out on me. In particular the center burner seems the most sensitive

Well, let me know if you get up this way. Maybe we can work something out. Ishnala's is nice this time of year.

I am going to Ishnala next Monday (the 16th) meeting an old friend I have been besties with since 7th grade (1963). Not sure what time we'll be getting there. But it will be in mid afternoon

Back