Friday night with GrillGrates

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Since I moved my now seasoned uncoated cast iron grates from my Silver C current everyday grill to my Skyline project, I decided to reinstall GrillGrates on the Silver. I really am not trying to stir up any more controversy, but I have to at least be honest and say that no other grates that I have tested can produce these sear marks:

20a9tft.jpg

I think one reason is the sharp edges of the grate tops. That’s what makes the sear marks look like Sharpie markings! It is really hard not to love these grates:rolleyes:!

I have also been working on building a Broilmaster grill from scrap parts. These things have MONSTER stainless grates, so since I don’t have a set of rcplanebuyer grates, I think these will give a better comparison of THICK stainless bars for my evaluation. I hope I can get it done soon and try them out:

2j0lctg.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, hard to beat those sear marks. I did a couple 1lb Ribeyes on my Q200 tonight and I did pretty dang good on the sear marks. I actually tried to maximize the sear marks. While they came out good (better than expected) they were nothing like what I have seen you do on the Grill Grates.

Good luck with that Broilermaster rehab.

Here is a tri tip I did the other night on my Genesis 2000 and it was a LOW and slow cook not even trying for marks. Yet IMO every bit the equal and had I been actually looking for marking it as my goal would have been superior. Honestly just don't get it. Plus with an open grate design of the Genesis stock grates I was able to get good smoke penetration and a nice smoke ring to boot on this tri. Another thing to note. Look how nice and juicy this looks with a moist and glistening surface compared to the dried out look on the other. Just SMDH

I7c8igs.jpg

Last edited:
Jon no need to worry about stirring up controversy. Hopefully that's over. I was one of the guilty parties LOL.

Those are absolutely some of the best grill marks I've seen. As you use them more I would be interested in how easy you find them to clean up? I'm a confirmed anti wire brush guy. I'm not sure if there would be a good way to clean them up because of their unique shape without a brush?

Regarding the broilmaster grates they are seriously thick stainless. But I'm pretty certain they aren't as thick as the rcplanebuyer ones. It's probably a moot point though because I doubt you could wear either set out.

The BroilMaster grates are 5/16" and RC's are 3/8"

Thanks for the info. The stainless rod grates on my silver A are from bbq parts and those are also 5/16". It doesn't sound like much but when you see them side by side with the rcplanebuyer grates the difference is noticeable. But both are very high quality and I don't regret purchasing the ones from bbq parts at all.

The BroilMaster grates are 5/16" and RC's are 3/8"

That’s why I tell everyone that he has no equal.

Nonetheless, the Broilmaster grates ARE pretty impressive, and I can’t imagine - as thick as they are - too many scenarios where another sixteenth of an inch would make much difference.

These or rcplanebuyer grates are both in a different league than the run of the mill stainless bars. I might add, however, that the inexpensive sets I bought for flip grills, based on Bruce’s recommendation, are certainly adequate for most people. They are actually VERY nice in my estimation. Only grill nuts like us would really appreciate the difference.

Jon no need to worry about stirring up controversy. Hopefully that's over. I was one of the guilty parties LOL.

Those are absolutely some of the best grill marks I've seen. As you use them more I would be interested in how easy you find them to clean up? I'm a confirmed anti wire brush guy. I'm not sure if there would be a good way to clean them up because of their unique shape without a brush?

Regarding the broilmaster grates they are seriously thick stainless. But I'm pretty certain they aren't as thick as the rcplanebuyer ones. It's probably a moot point though because I doubt you could wear either set out.

So far, I have found GrillGrates to not be that big a hassle to clean. I agree with your concerns about wire, although I do give in sometimes. For cleaning the flat tops one of those wooden scrapers work great. I did spring for the GrillGrates “valley brush” accessoriy when they had a sale. I can already hear you, Larry, but you don’t have to use it, I just liked that it was made of non-metal fibers that can handle relatively high heat. They were originally conceived for a restaurant chain who were also concerned about wire brushes. The version GrillGrates sells are shaped to fit optimally with their grate design. If wire doesn’t bother you, your existing wire brushes will also work fine.

By the way, while they give you a funky multi-finger tool that can double as both a spatula and a cleaner, I have had no problems using my regular spatula. I oil the grates the same way I do cast iron.

Thanks for the info. The stainless rod grates on my silver A are from bbq parts and those are also 5/16". It doesn't sound like much but when you see them side by side with the rcplanebuyer grates the difference is noticeable. But both are very high quality and I don't regret purchasing the ones from bbq parts at all.

The thing with the BroilMaster grates is they keep tight spacing rather than spacing them wide enough to drop a T-Bone through.

The thing with the BroilMaster grates is they keep tight spacing rather than spacing them wide enough to drop a T-Bone through.

The spacing does look pretty tight on the broilmaster grates. But it's pretty good / adequate to me on the rcplanebuyer and bbq parts as well.

Big fan of the grill grates myself, gasser or charcoal.

My Genesis is only 8-9 years old but have had some experience with GG on the 18" JJ so replaced the OEM with GG about a couple of months ago. No regrets they work well to say the least.

42925164532_8efb778a28_b.jpg

41072930120_53a8fd6f10_b.jpg

On the JJ they really helped with flair ups. I don't cook hamburger but use medium spiced sausage instead

42073081045_62d73e1cd5_b.jpg

And take the JJ to the North Shore of Lake Superior hunting each year. The cabin I rented last year had an 18" silver of unknown quality and history. So I split them up when there were several other grouse hunters in the same stretch. Knew I would end up cooking and wanted to make sure the gentleman from Texas and Ontario had some decent steaks. Along with my normal hunting partner from Silver Bay, Mn.

24115605838_ca4bfe1f36_b.jpg

26191100639_09f92ae1b4_b.jpg

Can't beat a sewer grate for getting serious grill marks.:)

40561951570_cd9d4ec600_z.jpg
[/url]100_3218 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Meh, not so much. Happen to agree with Meathead that the thick surface area of metal actually interfers and makes an inferior crust. I could do that in a cast iron pan. No thanks, have that T-shirt. https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews-and-buying-guides/best-tools-accessories-gadgets-wood-food-more/grill-grates-buying

When the cast iron grates first came out for the kettle had to try them.

42073001905_1670a1c371_b.jpg

They now are rusted and sitting in a container on my deck holding the lid down on the ATC and probes for my WSM.

If I am going to do a sear normally it will be with thin SS wire. And coals under the meat, as close as I can get them.

42164686604_3572aec192_b.jpg

Or even better directly on hardwood lump. I eat a lot of Prime Ribeye Cap Steaks. Grates? We don't need no stinking Grates!

42925168862_1f0ae00656_b.jpg

But if I am going to use a grate it now almost exclusively GrillGrates.

Wow! Those steaks, burgers and everything else looks GREAT! I would say your steaks on the plate more than answer any accusation that GrillGrates don’t turn out meat as moist as what Larry showed from whatever he used on his Genesis. I am sorry that my thawed out frozen pork chops done medium-well made it appear that GrillGrates turns out dry food. They certainly don’t, and even those pork chops were NOT dry. Here is another I did earlier on:

30vjbq9.jpg

Mmmmm!!! Wow, that looks good enough to eat through the screen. The bottom line to me is that in capable hands excellent results can be obtained with stainless rods, cast iron and, yes, GrillGrates. To each his own as to preference, but all three are worthy methods. For that matter there are probably others. I might put Rich’s unusual entry in that category, but it is still cast iron- just exotically sourced:eek:!

Back