Help please!!

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I’m cooking for a fundraiser that starts tomorrow morning. I’m using the same Boston Butts that I normally do. They usually take me right at 13 hours at 250* when I do them one at the time in my 18.5” WSM. Any idea how cooking 3 at once will affect my cook length? Thanks in advance!

Not much. Just make sure you start with a full ring. You'll probably need to add some after x hours (can't give you a time on that as every smoke is different). And pay attention to the temps. That much meat will be a big heat sink. Maybe use 1/2 bowl of water if you're going that route as the meat will take the place of the extra H2O.. And pay attention to water level if you use it BUT I've never ever run out of water (full bowl) when I used it (before moving on to the saucer method).

Last edited:
Won’t change the time much at all. Put the smaller ones on the top rack. They will finish first and then you can move the larger one up to the top grate. Of course if they’re not much different in size, it won’t matter. Either way, for me, cooking that much meat is no big deal, the work is in the pulling. I like to clean a lot of the fat and “stuff” out and with three butts, it takes awhile.

3 butts should take the same amount of time as 1. I have done up to 4 at once, and it seems to take just the same time as 1. I usually end up adding more coal, around 10 hours. And I use a full water pan . Good Luck

Answer is, it depends. if you set everything up the exact same way that you normally do, yes, it will take a little while longer. Reason being is that you are adding more cold thermal mass into the smoker. One easy way around this is to start with more lit coals and preheat to a higher temp (25 or so degrees higher). When you add the additional butts, this should bring the temp closer to being in line with what you regularly run. As the internal temp of the butts rise, this becomes less of an issue.

Back