Rehabbers/Flippers

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I know there are several prevailing methods for dealing with the crud on knobs, thermoset tables, shelf ends and other vinyl parts on rehab grills. I have been using a bleach water solution with good results, but today I was working on my next project (Silver B) with thermoset tables. I bought a gallon of Simple green earlier this year, and it came with a spray bottle full of another Simple Green product shrink wrapped to it: Simple Green Clean Finish® Disinfectant Cleaner

I decided to give it a try on the parts I normally clean up with the bleach water solution. It knocked everything out of the park. I can't say the tables and knobs and such were in horrible shape, but they had the typical grease, rust stains black marks and other marks that you typically see on thermoset and vinyl parts on these grills. I assume it is also a lot easier on skin and the environment than bleach.

So, it might be something you want to give a try. Actually, I might even try it on some other parts, like cleaning up the lid, inside and out. But, I think I will be keeping a bottle of it in my arsenal from now on.

Hopefully I get this current grill project done in the next week or so. I still have to grind off the inside and outside of the fire box and the end caps and clean the lid. Then I can repaint and get it all back together and I will post some photos if I remember.

My only experience with thermoset parts was with a silver b also. I used dawn dish soap and put the parts in my grate soaker (water heater catch tray) left them overnight, the next morning hit them with a stiff brush and then 0000 steel wool. Came out looking brand new I was really shocked.

Done for the summer Rehabbin & Flippin, to hot to work in the garage been 104-106 hit 100 at 9 am this morning and it's not going to get any cooler, this will be the hottest summer ever here. Also got to rest this hernia so watchin the tube and sucking on a cold one now and then will be my summer recreation.

Rich,
Get yourself rested and all healed up. Then when fall comes you will be ready for another. We all need you as part of our crazy hobby!

Thanks for the advice.
I am new here, so I am not sure if this has been asked before ........
but are there any other grills out there besides Weber that are worth
putting the time, effort and $$ into for a rehab/flip that will actually
make it worth your while? I know I can't be the only one that finds
it to be a constant struggle to find good Weber rehab projects, but
you always see a never-ending supply of non-Webers.

I did a Wolf grill but not to flip. You can always do any high quality American made all 300 series stainless grill. Wolf, Viking, DCS etc. I don't know if they're good for flipping as I am not in that game. I buy a grill to rehab and to use. If I sell it down the road so be it but it's not for that purpose

Thanks for the advice.
I am new here, so I am not sure if this has been asked before ........
but are there any other grills out there besides Weber that are worth
putting the time, effort and $$ into for a rehab/flip that will actually
make it worth your while? I know I can't be the only one that finds
it to be a constant struggle to find good Weber rehab projects, but
you always see a never-ending supply of non-Webers.

The thing about Genesis and Spirit Webers is that they are plentiful and parts are as well. Both new and used. Not so much for the other brands. Plus most people are familiar with the Weber name, where a lot of potential customers don't know a Viking or Wolf from a Charbroil.

Are you looking in the KC area on craigslist and Facebook marketplace. There should be a reasonable supply of used Webers for sale there and it is only a half hour away. I drive 50 miles for most of my rehab candidates.

Last edited:
It is hit and miss here. 2 years ago CL was a great source. Not so much now. Many, many people has started using Market Place, but anything good is gone in an hour, and anything great is gone in 15 minutes. Then you have the Apps (Letgo and those types) popular w/ the younger folks, many of which are flakes, or just downright sketchy. I am not going to risk getting shot trying to buy a 15 year old black kettle for $20
I just see lots of the char-broilers and members marks in particular dirt cheap. Example- year old members mark- black/stainless 2 - burner, claims to work perfectly, the guy was moving, for $50. I think new they run $225 or so. Would any still give $100 to $125 for that, is $50 where it lives, or is that too much even? Also, seem to see Jenn-Air at what seems to be really low prices. Are they junk now?

I have nothing to offer on other brand grills, especially in your area. However, the advice I will offer is to do your homework and take it slowly. When I got into this, I didn't know where it was going to go. I grabbed one Weber, found out what the clean up and fixup would entail from a labor aspect, found out what replacement parts cost and availability were and eventually found out what the market was for a fixed up Weber was.

I would keep a close eye on FB and CL and see what the "nicer" versions of some of these grills are selling for. Take a Viking for instance. Don't just look at cheap rehab candidates, but look at some of the more expensive ones in good condition. While they likely haven't been rehabbed yet, they will at least give you an indication of what a "used" one would go for if it is in good condition and you can estimate what your resell price might be after you fix up a rehab special. I remember seeing used Genesis B grills on CL going for $200 that while in generally good condition were not all cleaned up and rehabbed like I could do. So, I knew if someone could get $200 for that grill, I could get $250 for a fully working, completely cleaned out rehabbed Silver B.
Just make sure you are comparing grills that are selling. Just because someone list a grill on CL or FB doesn't mean they get that price or even anything close to it.

I would also stick to the higher end grills. Stay away from the Chinese throw away grills. They are not designed or even intended to be repaired and rehabbed. They are designed to be used a few years and tossed. There is no used market for them, no matter how well you rehab them when they can buy a new one for $150.

I will also caution you about paying too much for your potential rehabs. I never pay more than $50 for any of the grills I have rehabbed. Patience is the key. I was all uptight when I first started doing this, and I spent a long spell last summer after my first rehab trying to find more Webers to rehab. But, by the end of the summer, I had 8 grills left over after all the grills that I rehabbed and sold already. Several were free, but none cost more than $50 a piece. Patience! This year, I have purchased another 5 or 6 grills and still have 5 or 6 in inventory but to be honest, a few will wind up being parted out. I have passed on several this year that I would have jumped on last year. I just don't have the space. I am also lucky that I have a very flexible schedule and if I see a grill I want, I am usually able to tell the seller I will be there within an hour. That helps.

Good luck, but be patient. You will get what you want eventually.

I have nothing to offer on other brand grills, especially in your area. However, the advice I will offer is to do your homework and take it slowly. When I got into this, I didn't know where it was going to go. I grabbed one Weber, found out what the clean up and fixup would entail from a labor aspect, found out what replacement parts cost and availability were and eventually found out what the market was for a fixed up Weber was.

I would keep a close eye on FB and CL and see what the "nicer" versions of some of these grills are selling for. Take a Viking for instance. Don't just look at cheap rehab candidates, but look at some of the more expensive ones in good condition. While they likely haven't been rehabbed yet, they will at least give you an indication of what a "used" one would go for if it is in good condition and you can estimate what your resell price might be after you fix up a rehab special. I remember seeing used Genesis B grills on CL going for $200 that while in generally good condition were not all cleaned up and rehabbed like I could do. So, I knew if someone could get $200 for that grill, I could get $250 for a fully working, completely cleaned out rehabbed Silver B.
Just make sure you are comparing grills that are selling. Just because someone list a grill on CL or FB doesn't mean they get that price or even anything close to it.

I would also stick to the higher end grills. Stay away from the Chinese throw away grills. They are not designed or even intended to be repaired and rehabbed. They are designed to be used a few years and tossed. There is no used market for them, no matter how well you rehab them when they can buy a new one for $150.

I will also caution you about paying too much for your potential rehabs. I never pay more than $50 for any of the grills I have rehabbed. Patience is the key. I was all uptight when I first started doing this, and I spent a long spell last summer after my first rehab trying to find more Webers to rehab. But, by the end of the summer, I had 8 grills left over after all the grills that I rehabbed and sold already. Several were free, but none cost more than $50 a piece. Patience! This year, I have purchased another 5 or 6 grills and still have 5 or 6 in inventory but to be honest, a few will wind up being parted out. I have passed on several this year that I would have jumped on last year. I just don't have the space. I am also lucky that I have a very flexible schedule and if I see a grill I want, I am usually able to tell the seller I will be there within an hour. That helps.

Good luck, but be patient. You will get what you want eventually.

I have to ask. What would you say you average in profit on a grill flip? I could see doing it part time and enjoying it.

I would say I work for minimum wage doing this. If you add together all the time to acquire the grills, listing, selling, not to mention the cost of the donor grill, the parts, supplies and everything else, I probably make less than $10 per hour. I would say, I earn $100 to $150 per grill profit (not including my minimum wage).

I don't do it for profit so much as I do it for a hobby. It gives me great satisfaction bring back to life an old discarded weber grill. Some times I feel like asking people I buy grills from if I can send them a few photos of the grill after I fix them up. Most people are very apologetic when I pick up grills even though I am getting them for very little. They typically make the comment something like "I was just going to junk it, but figured someone might want it for $25".

Good luck if you decide to give it a shot. Start small and see how it goes. There is a wealth of information on this forum about doing the rehabs and if you have any questions, there are many on here that are MORE than willing to share. We all did our first Weber at some point.

Wow, tough question. I have lost $10 and spent 7 hours on a rehab, and felt better than one that I made $200 on
that I turned in two hours. All depends on the grill and buyer I guess. Some buyers are deeks. Some grills you hate
to sell. My rule .... I will only have one of the same thing. Two, I am cutting one loose. Hard parting with a blue you
fought so long and hard to get.

Back