Brisket for the Boys

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
It was my turn to host our guys group here last night, and a brisket seemed to be in order. Since I had to get it cooked while working from home, and I didn't want to start it at 2a, I went with the high heat method. I started with a ~18lb prime packer from CostCo (probably ~15.5 after trimming), and seasoned it up with some "steak" seasoning from the local market (a bit of a salty version of Montreal steak seasoning.) I prepped my WSM22 with Kingsford Pro, hickory and cherry, letting my CyberQ run the show at 300. Once the brisket hit about 175, I dropped it in a foil covered roaster, and returned it to the grill for what turned out to be another 3 hours before it probed tender. Once done, I let it rest on the counter for about 20 minutes to bring the temp down a bit, then foil wrapped and dropped it in a cooler with towels until service.

Brisket post-trim:

42889246972_33a5cabd68_k.jpg

Out of the foil:

42944106521_74749b8344_k.jpg

Made a grilled caesar to get us started:

29078929128_b2e63634b5_k.jpg

A pretty sight:

42951947541_7ff2cbab32_k.jpg

Served up with some homemade chile/bacon mac & cheese:

42951947691_c6852c0800_k.jpg

The brisket turned out to be one of the better ones that I have made....juicy, tender, and with a really flavorful crust. The mac & cheese I'll make again, but will probably switch up to extra sharp cheddar as it was lacking a little of that zing that I like in m&c (the bacon and green chile addition was really good, though!) Not sure why I don't make the grilled caesar more, it is a delicious (and easy) way to prep up a caesar salad (used Girard's dressing, which is my favorite caesar dressing in a bottle.)

The whisky and cigars after dinner were good too! :)

Q on!

Rich

I hope you enjoy playing host, cuz that will make your home the prime locale (as do all your other cooks)!

Great looking brisket Rich! I guess my invite got lost in the mail.:p

Not sure how that happened, Pat, I sent it certified mail!! :)

I hope you enjoy playing host, cuz that will make your home the prime locale (as do all your other cooks)!

Like many here, I'm sure, I love to host friends and family and cook for them. The group I had over last night is our "Steak Club" group. Each "member" hosts on a rotating monthly basis, and is a great way to make sure that we all get together at least once a month over great food and drink.

Great looking cook Rich, I'm sure the boys loved it. I went to HH brisket cooks and pork butts too. Around 300-325 and they always come out great. Sure saves a lot of time.

Rich..... First of all that is one gorgeous brisket, both before and after. That bark looks absolutely fabulous. I really like how you did the Caesar Salad also. You sure know how to host a get together.

OK, I'll be the idiot who asks..... what exactly am I looking at here? The lower portion shows the slice shot through that perfectly cooked brisket, point and flat. What's that lurking on top?

42951947541_7ff2cbab32_k.jpg

OK, I'll be the idiot who asks..... what exactly am I looking at here?

Hee, hee....that's just my PVC "bbq" glove that happened to be resting there when I took the photo......thought it added a bit of character to the shot. :)

R

Last edited:
Mighty fine brisket and salad, Rich. And plate, too. Really like the glove shot. Thought it was the Brisket Monster caught on camera. Can I join your club?

Awesome brisket!!! Glad the high heat method worked for you. I tried it once, total fail, I only low and slow over night for my briskets. Yours looks very good, nice job!!!

I'd be game for a meal like this if you're offering hehe. Seriously nice lookin brisket and that mac n cheese makes me hungry too!

A beautiful brisket and great looking plate. Top it off with some good whisky? That's a club that I want to be a part of!!!

Great looking brisket - even with the alien glove ontop - I was going to ask - you foiled at 175° - what temp did you take it off or was just by feel as you mentioned.

Great looking brisket - even with the alien glove ontop - I was going to ask - you foiled at 175° - what temp did you take it off or was just by feel as you mentioned.

I took it off when it probed tender in multiple places, Alan. As I recall, it was somewhere between 195-200.

Back