If you be keen on a redhead: Spirit 500 - Genesis Silver A - Union

Bernd

Hello from Germany,

most of you like the redheads, me too. But, in Germany they are very rare. I think, they are going to die off.
In the last two years, there are 2 (two!) that i coud recognize on our national CL, which is called "ebay Kleinanzeigen".

The first one was a red-headed Genesis 1000. I rehabbed it and gave it to a friend for his 50. birthday (a story I can tell later). Then I want to have one for my own.
So, I was on the run for a second redhead. It was a Spirit 500 in a really bad condition:

rXtzSMOl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
[/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG][/IMG]
04KF1Lsl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
bPaApHnl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I drove one hour to the guy who initially wanted Euro 150.- . I offered 100.- on the phone and bought it for 80.- ("it is scrap metal"). Flavourizers and grates were ok, and the grill has a red head! As most of you, I had to explain to my wife why I store an old, dirty and broken grill in my small workshop. "Because it has a red head".

Months later I found a black Genesis Silver A, which was in a good condition, but totlally rusted flavorizers and grates. It was 15kms away and costs Euro 50.-

This is what came out after rehabbing:

74qP5Utl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
6kv9bnNl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
KraMpkMl.jpg
[/url]
3q5IVDel.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
bM8fNAbl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Eventually, I addded a cast iron grate (sorry, no photo) and I am happy with this small two-burner grill, which has it's place right beside the 2004 Genesis Gold.

Bernd.

Nice job. Wow that unit must have had some horrendous grease fires to have burned through the fire box like that. Looks like all came out well in the end. Where in Germany are you?

Thank you Larry for your compliment.

I live in the Rheinhessen region, just a few kms south from Mainz. Mainz is the capital of Rhineland-Palatinate, in the southwest of Germany. We are surrounded by wineyards.

As a child, i lived in Bad Kreuznach. On german-american "Volksfest" (Bill called it "Amifest") we kids catched fire with real hamburgers made by U.S. troops on halfed barrels. Maybe this was the beginnig of my BBQ-passion?

Wow I am familiar with the area. Went there a few years ago with a friend who lives in Cologne. My youngest daughter had visited some friends in Italy and had used Ryanair to fly to (what they said was Dusseldorf) but it was Mainz. I really enjoy visiting visiting Germany (though I have not been back there in about 5 years). Love the Rhine area and also Bavaria. My son in law works for Aldi and is the youngest executive manager in their company. He and my daughter just bought a very nice home here (he works at the US headquarters in Batavia IL and they bought just northwest of there in a little town called Elburn) but, now Aldi is talking to him about moving to Dusseldorf. Guess we'll see what happens

Nicely done. Those little Silver A's are nice grills. I had one for a while and was totally impressed with it.

I couldn't find a redhead so I made it a redleg.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful grill. You can be very proud of your excellent workmanship:cool:! I am sure it is fun to have a rare and special grill. I bet friends would all like to own one like that.

Back