Thread: Performer 5# tank refill

TVWBB Fan

Performer 5# tank refill

Has anyone used a 20# propane tank to re-fill the 5# tank on their stainless steel performer?

Man, I'm getting tired of paying the same flat-rate price to fill a 20# tank when I need my tank refilled!
    Now I'm wondering if this is an option? Sure would be alot easier & cheaper...

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I go to a place that sells it by the gallon (Ferrellgas) and they would not have an issue with filling the 5# ones. Never had one but the guy here is very helpful, they do lots of commercial business and do the 20# tanks for anyone that walks in the door, it’s usually overnight for me but, I bet if you were in a real Yank they could help you out.
    I got two 20# tanks for $9.87 each two weeks ago.
    Just a thought.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Brian, I know someone did just what you're after here on the forum. If I remember right even listed the parts. I can't find it, maybe someone will remember what the thread was called.
    I have a later model performer that I converted to a 20# tank using the Weber adapter hose for a Q grill.
    It's well worth the trouble, I'm on year four on the original 20# tank and it still feels at least half full.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Fan
    I refill my 5lb tank via a 20 lb tank and a POL to POL connector, which is a copper line with to male POL fittings on each end. You can find them on ebay. If you have the quick release 5lb tank, you'll also need the quick release nipple to thread onto one of the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by OGlenn View Post
    I refill my 5lb tank via a 20 lb tank and a POL to POL connector, which is a copper line with to male POL fittings on each end. You can find them on ebay. If you have the quick release 5lb tank, you'll also need the quick release nipple to thread onto one of the ends.
    OGlenn, do you have a picture or a link to an ebay auction for this POL to POL connector?
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, Q200, 1999 Performer; 2009 22" 2008 18" , Copper Premium 22"

TVWBB Fan
    Here is a photo of mine, with a quick release adapter screwed on to one of the POL ends:

TVWBB Super Fan
    I take my newly purchased opd valve 5lb tank with me sometimes on the road with to gas go anywhere. It would be nice to top it off with a 20 lb tank first before I leave. Never thought of refilling it at home. Do you have to turn the 20lb upside down? Any videos of the process.?

Would you have to vent the empty tank during refill?

I've seen tanks filled with the vent open, and some filled with the vent closed.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 07-18-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

I've had no luck finding these POL to POL adapters on eBay. OGlenn, do you have a link?
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, Q200, 1999 Performer; 2009 22" 2008 18" , Copper Premium 22"