Performer 5# tank refill

Brian_D

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone used a 20# propane tank to re-fill the 5# tank on their stainless steel performer?

Man, I'm getting tired of paying the same flat-rate price to fill a 20# tank when I need my tank refilled!
Now I'm wondering if this is an option? Sure would be alot easier & cheaper...

I go to a place that sells it by the gallon (Ferrellgas) and they would not have an issue with filling the 5# ones. Never had one but the guy here is very helpful, they do lots of commercial business and do the 20# tanks for anyone that walks in the door, it’s usually overnight for me but, I bet if you were in a real Yank they could help you out.
I got two 20# tanks for $9.87 each two weeks ago.
Just a thought.

Brian, I know someone did just what you're after here on the forum. If I remember right even listed the parts. I can't find it, maybe someone will remember what the thread was called.
I have a later model performer that I converted to a 20# tank using the Weber adapter hose for a Q grill.
It's well worth the trouble, I'm on year four on the original 20# tank and it still feels at least half full.

I refill my 5lb tank via a 20 lb tank and a POL to POL connector, which is a copper line with to male POL fittings on each end. You can find them on ebay. If you have the quick release 5lb tank, you'll also need the quick release nipple to thread onto one of the ends.

I refill my 5lb tank via a 20 lb tank and a POL to POL connector, which is a copper line with to male POL fittings on each end. You can find them on ebay. If you have the quick release 5lb tank, you'll also need the quick release nipple to thread onto one of the ends.

OGlenn, do you have a picture or a link to an ebay auction for this POL to POL connector?

Here is a photo of mine, with a quick release adapter screwed on to one of the POL ends:
sIsiFGZ.jpg

I take my newly purchased opd valve 5lb tank with me sometimes on the road with to gas go anywhere. It would be nice to top it off with a 20 lb tank first before I leave. Never thought of refilling it at home. Do you have to turn the 20lb upside down? Any videos of the process.?

Would you have to vent the empty tank during refill?

I've seen tanks filled with the vent open, and some filled with the vent closed.

Last edited:
It has taken me a while... but I believe I've finally found the POL to POL pigtail for $20 shipped on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-PIGTAIL...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The POL to quick connect adapter is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000DZKUSY/tvwb-20

It looks like Weber had their own version, part number 9801, to allow a quick connect tank to be filled (looks very much like the Mr. Heater part, too) that came with every SSP:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=821001

#61 in the diagram.

Last edited:
The method isn't for the faint of heart as you are obviously dealing with an explosive, smelly product. Frankly, if you can get your's refilled professionally, I'd go that route regardless of having to pay for 20lbs as it is inherently dangerous. And yes, Weber included a quick connect adapter with the SSP's.

The method isn't for the faint of heart as you are obviously dealing with an explosive, smelly product. Frankly, if you can get your's refilled professionally, I'd go that route regardless of having to pay for 20lbs as it is inherently dangerous. And yes, Weber included a quick connect adapter with the SSP's.

Good advice. Thanks.

I have the adaptor to fill the 1# tanks for my Q from a 20 # tank, that isn't hard to do at all. I just followed the instructions it was easy, I have since gotten the hose to run it off of the 20 # tank and I like that better because it lasted forever it seems like.

Back