Does It Matter?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm talking about pork shoulder brands.

Smithfield is popular around here, but some stores sell butts packaged by Swift Premium, and another sells butts packaged by Hormel.

I mainly smoke Smithfield butts, but last week, I smoked a Swift butt for a father's day gift, and it was killer good. Haven't tried a Hormel butt yet.

Truth be told, a lot of folks (including Chris Kimball) like Smithfield products, but, to me, I've never really cared for their bacon (except Gawltney), deli products, smoked hams, etc. Their stuff is OK, but maybe not the best?

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: If you're ever in the area, you must try this brand. They don't sell fresh pork, but they excel at pork products...

https://neesesausage.com/

Last edited:
Truth be told I've never paid much attention to brand, just to whether it's already been injected. Those I stay away from.

The brand is not something I pay attention to.

I do, but I didn't think there was much difference between name brands, so I've used Smithfield for the most part because it's readily available at sale prices. Food Lion carries the Swift brand, and I faintly remember how good it tasted a year or so ago. The store had Swift on sale for father's day, so I gave it a try with very good results.

For what it's worth, I added a small chunk of apple wood with two hickory chunks, and I used the southern succor rub (as always). My wife said it tasted so good when she pulled it the next morning, she felt like taking it all for herself, lol. Maybe the hog's diet varies between brands? Who knows. Ingle's carries the Hormel brand, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd like to get my hands on some local pork one day.

I believe Smithfield is Chinese owned now if that makes any difference to you. Personally, I just buy what my butcher carries, and I'm not sure of the brand. Smithfield is usually fine, but they have a lot of various sub brands with varying degrees of added solution.

I only buy Excel in cryovaced twin packs. I steer clear from most name brands that say naturally juicy, tender or always moist etc.

Tim

The rumor was that they were going to take pork from here, process it there and then send it back. The real reason is that the Chinese REALLY love pork.

The rumor was that they were going to take pork from here, process it there and then send it back.

Let's hope not, but I saw some wild-caught flounder from Alaskan waters - which was then shipped to China, processed, and shipped back to Sam's Club for sale. That's a low blow considering we have ships that can catch and process fish in the same waters.

The real reason is that the Chinese REALLY love pork.

They do at that. Pork is popular in many Chinese dishes.

Will be cooking up several early Sunday. Always had the "always moist" kind. Worked great. This time I believe we are starting with non-injected ones, possibly boneless. (Costco) What differences should I look out for. My usual: two - three hours open then two to three hours wrapped. 275 - 325. Perfect. 203 degrees

Bumping a thread here, but I smoked two Swift butts yesterday for some friends, and they called back, today, and they said the Swift butts had better flavor in their opinion. I nibbled on a piece when I pulled the meat from the smoker last night, and it was good indeed. I save a few ounces for dinner today, so I'll give my opinion later.

Most commercial pork is basically the same. Even some comp guys who have gone to heritage breeds say they can't tell much of a difference in the final product.

I will say... I have recently been purchasing Swift Premium from Costco and have noticed a darker color in the raw meat and a better flavor in the finished product over Farmer John and the like. Costco Swift doesn't smell of sulfur and looks/tastes excellent for the most part.

Quality in, quality out.

Frankly, I've never been a huge Smithfield fan (with the exception of Gwaltney bacon). Most of their processed stuff leaves something to be desired compared to other brands. Smithfield fresh pork is a good product, but I currently think Swift has a bit of an edge.

Thanks for the confirmation, Mike.

Back