A Wednesday Bird

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
When I started fixing up dinner tonight, I had no idea if anyone was going to be home to eat with me......such are summer schedules around here (especially when you have 2 kids in the house who can drive!) :) As it turned out, I ended up having a nice dinner with my two eldest children, so I will count that as a win!

Tonight's meal was a spatchcocked chicken that had some orange slices tucked under the skin, and got a dusting of DP Dizzy Dust. I cooked the bird indirect on my Q, and it took just about an hour with the burner set just below medium (and a couple minutes for some searing.) I also did a quick marinade (veggie oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, sesame seeds) for some halved baby bok choy, and just grilled those up until they were tender and a bit charred.

Bird with its under skin adornments:

42931529141_043686653b_k.jpg

Dusted and on the Q with the indirect setup:

42931530401_190d520d05_k.jpg

Skin side has been seared/crisped:

42212770754_2d0d62b656_k.jpg

Gotta have your veggies!

29058428558_9a3d195620_k.jpg

...and plated up with a side of "mexican" rice:

42212769924_6821baaa2a_k.jpg

The chicken turned out very well, with very juicy meat that had just a hint of orange flavor. Crisp tender bok choy off the grill is always one of my favorite sides. Good stuff!

Hope everyone got through "hump" day ok! :)

R

Looks great, Rich. And a little QT with the kids is always a nice bonus.

That's a pretty slick meal for mid week, all things being equal not that difficult time wise either which is a plus! Nicely done

Terrific looking chicken Rich. Bet the flavor was tremendous with the juices from those orange slices. Sometimes the sides steal the show. We love bok choy, and especially baby bok choy when we can find it. Yours looks delicious as does the Mexican rice!

Thanks, all. I'm really enjoying the convenience of the Q, and it's getting some great use as my "side cooker", too (grilled caesar last night, skillet brussels last week, etc, etc.)

If you haven't tried the citrus slice under the skin thing before, give it a whirl! I'm blessed with both a lemon and orange tree in my back yard, and it's a great way to get some extra flavor on your bird.

R

Rich, that is one awesome looking plate of food. Great job and to be able to share it with you older kids awesome.

Back