A delicious discovery

Chuck Tatham

TVWBB Member
was doing a brisket the other day and had wrapped in in butcher paper for the last couple hours on the top rack. I decided to throw some garden variety costco almonds in a tray on the lower rack. I usually do them in the oven so it was logical to try a bit of smoke. Tossed them in sea salted water and stuck them in there. When I do them in the oven I would toss them in some olive oil after and dust with salt again.

The best part:

When I took them out I realized they were coated in the brisket fat drippings from above...for a moment was concerned then came to my senses....tossed them to spread it around and dusted with sea salt and cooled. They were UNBELIEVABLE!! People could not get enough of them.

Ooooooooh! Sounds great! Send me some!
Silly me, I’m sure there was not a single one left.
How about piercing some holes in the foil layer to allow the grease to drain off some?
Next brisket, this will happen!

Last edited:
Ooooooooh! Sounds great! Send me some!
Silly me, I’m sure there was not a single one left.
How about piercing some holes in the foil layer to allow the grease to drain off some?
Next brisket, this will happen!

seriously peoples eyes got wide on the first taste!....then non nom nom.

The rendering of the fat from the meat was just drizzling and there was plenty to stir and coat. The almonds were in one of those BBQ baskets with holes in it and that allowed for good nut toasting. Costco has (at least in Canada) big bags of plain almonds.

I've not tried them with brisket grease, but I've made smoke almonds a couple times. There are some recipes over on the web site side here at TVWB. I particularly like the spicy one that includes a decent portion of hot sauce in the mix. My brother had put some smoked almonds on his Christmas list at Amazon last year. I saw that and said, "I can definitely do better than that." I was extremely happy with how they came out, particularly that there were quite a few left after I filled a bag for my brother.

I would have never thought to do that. That's an interesting idea. What else do people do with brisket fat? or Pork butt fat?

Back