No date code WSM

J Boldt

TVWBB Super Fan
So I picked up what appears to be an early version WSM. As I look at the vents I do not see a datecode at all.

They are very oxidized but as of now I see nothing. It came with a book that is dated 1981, the door is aluminum so I am very confused.

I did read the article on here that said it may have been a preproduction run or an error. Any further info on nondated WSM's?

I will post some pics later today when I get home.

BTW, it looks like the owner maybe used this thing twice it is in like new condition.

The firswt thing I would do is rub the vents with fine steel wool. When I was looking for the date stamp on an old kettle that process made the stamp visible. What material is your handle made of?. Wood or Nylon? 1990 was the last year for wood. All WSMs are manufactured with an Aluminum door so that's normal. WSMs manufactured before 1990 had a single letter code and it was stamped on all 4 air vent dampers. You may be looking for a single letter. Let us know whether you find a date code or not and the handle material. A picture is always nice.

Take a magnet and try the legs. If they are steel and the magnets stick, you may be on to something special.

However, most legs are aluminum and some WSM's in the Late 80's/Early 90's do not appear to have any stamps.

I think the unstamped pre-production versions and the unstamped versions of the late 1980's are being confused for the same thing.

Back