Baby back ribs taking 7 hrs to cook???

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Baby back ribs. Temp between 225 and 250. First time using water and not foiling. Its been 7 hrs and they are still not done!! Avg size rack of ribs. Never had them go past 61/2 hrs. These probably need another hour at least. Any idears????

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here they are. 8 hours no pull back on bone and did not pass the bend test. BEST ribs ive ever had!!!!!!! Go figure??????

Well here they are. 8 hours no pull back on bone and did not pass the bend test. BEST ribs ive ever had!!!!!!! Go figure??????
First and foremost, killer looking ribs Corey. I love low temp cooked ribs, and yes I've seen 7 & 8 hours in doing so. It's my opinion that the bone pull back is not as noticeable when cooked slowly. I'm no a fan of the bend test. It's my opinion that the only true test for slow cooked ribs is the toothpick test. When the tooth pick goes in effortlessly, they're done. The proof is when you eat them, if the meat comes off the bone clean, then you did good. I dare say yours was probably amazing

Nice looking ribs. I'd test the thermometer or question it's placement. Even at 225, bb's shouldn't take that long.

As good as that pic looks I would simply try the same thing again :). I cannot offer advice; I'm no expert and I do my ribs at a minimum of 250.

I’ve been making ribs for years .. I love ribs and try to hold my cooking temperature around 225. Past years I would cook them for 5 to 6 hours depending on which ribs I was making. I would check for the meat pulling back on the bones, tried testing with the bend-test and never had good results. Toward the end of this past winter I was talking with the cook at a restaurant where I enjoy their ribs. They actually smoke their ribs and he told me he cooks their ribs at 225 for 8 hours. When my smoking season started this year I put my ribs on at 225 degrees and smoked them for 7 hours and started checking with a toothpick checking for tenderness. Seven to eight hours has been my golden time-frame this year as my ribs have turned out excellent every time since. I do use a water-pan and do not foil.

Maybe that pig was just stubborn?
I find the toothpick test to be the best indicator if they are done.

Back