Smashburgers on Upside-down GrillGrates

I ordered a set of grillgrates for my Weber Genesis II recently. Made Smashburgers tonight on them for the first time. I think I have some lessons learned. I am also sharing a link to a shared album in my Google photos. So hopefully you'll be able to see them.

I smashed the burgers on a flat non Grill surface because I did not want to risk having any of the meat get cut off by getting stuck in the grill grate holes. Since this is my first use of the grill grate, I seasoned them with Pam spray. I may have over sprayed. I never used this spray so I may have.

I have a 4 burner grill but because the grates only are on the left side, I only used the left two burners... Had them on medium. I preheated for 5 minutes. The next time I cook the burgers, I'll put all four burners on just to make sure that the whole Grill is pre-heated nicely.

I do not have an infrared thermometer so I wasn't sure of the surface temperature of the grate. So I threw a small piece of ground beef on it about an eighth of an inch by 1/4 of an inch. It seemed to sizzle okay so I figured the grates were ready.

The burgers were very juicy. But I think the grill was not hot enough because it took me about 6 minutes to cook these burgers. The last time I made Smashburgers was on my kamado with a cast iron pan and the cooking time was only 4 minutes. That tells me I did not preheat long enough. Lesson learned number one.

I think my second lesson learned is over spraying the grillgrates. It's almost like putting a wet steak on a hot pan... The moisture prevents good char. So in my case, that will improve as the grates season and it only takes a couple of cooks and then I won't have to use the Pam spray anymore.

Here is a link to a shared folder. Public pictures and a video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yb1t93tqrXaqoBUu8

-T

Tony, gread pics and video and write up. I was wondering what you were going to do about smashing them on the GG with the holes. I think that might also have something to do with them taking longer than expected. Smashing them on the hot grates really feeds the heat into them.

Tony, gread pics and video and write up. I was wondering what you were going to do about smashing them on the GG with the holes. I think that might also have something to do with them taking longer than expected. Smashing them on the hot grates really feeds the heat into them.

Thanks, Bruce.

I did try this technique out on my kamado and cast iron pan not too long ago. Meaning smashing them before I put them on the cast iron pan. And they came out pretty good. Better than what I made tonight. In terms of char, anyway.
Then again, I probably had that cast iron up to 500 Degrees.

I'm going to try again soon. The grill grates look pretty seasoned already. So I'm not going to spray them again.

I just have to believe it was me. I saw several YouTube videos where the burgers came out fantastic on these grillgrates :)

-T

Why so much rube goldberg ways to accomplish such a simple task using the right equipment in the first place (a GOOD cast iron or heavy stainless steel griddle) just SMH. A smash burger is not a smash burger unless it's truly smashed into the VERY hot griddle to get the crust. Anything else is just cooking burgers on a griddle and while OK not the real deal

smashed into the VERY hot griddle to get the crust.

If I recall correctly Tony may have conceded on another thread that he would not be using the traditional smash burger method once he received his GG's and gave it his first attempt. I have a feeling that when I make smash burgers my griddle is 600f+, I do not add oil, I smash immediately when I drop the 2 oz ball, I flip after 60 seconds and pull after another 60 seconds (give or take a few... I keep a timer on deck)... that's how hot it is and how thin the burger is. But I do recall that my very first effort took more than 60 seconds because the surface was not hot enough.

Yep it's a fine line. My griddle is about 500 or a little higher when I do them. They're great too come out just like going to Culver's or Steak n Shake. Though I don't start with a round ball. I start with a ball that is slightly "flattened" so my spatula doesn't slip as easily. Then do a full "smash" once they hit the hot cast iron. Doing the smash off the griddle is simply griddling a thin burger and while if you like that can yield a decent one it's not the same. What I like is it's pretty painless in terms of steps needed. Drop smash/flip. Done. I do them stacked putting grilled or griddled onions on one immediately after the flip along with cheese and then put the other on top and another slice of cheese. I can't do the buns. Shoots my blood sugar into the stratosphere LOL

Why so much rube goldberg ways to accomplish such a simple task using the right equipment in the first place (a GOOD cast iron or heavy stainless steel griddle) just SMH. A smash burger is not a smash burger unless it's truly smashed into the VERY hot griddle to get the crust. Anything else is just cooking burgers on a griddle and while OK not the real deal

I do have the right equipment :).

I have a cast iron Lodge 14 inch pizza pan that I use but I am limited to 4 burgers at a time. I have a 12 inch SS fry pan that I used on my cooktop but I am limited to 4 burgers at a time.

What I'm trying to do is see if I can get Smashburgers to work on upside down grillgrates... without smashing on the grate. So I am experimenting. I did not buy the grillgrates for Smashburgers. I bought them for many other uses. But if I get them to work for Smashburgers (while smashing off-grate), I can make 16 burgers at a time. And not be limited to just 4 at a time.

I read up on Smashburgers. I do not believe smashing on-grate is important (my opinion). What's important is all the other aspects... Like 80/20 beef... not overworking beef... smashing one time only, and seasoning. Once the Patty makes contact, it starts searing.

So the experimentation continues. I am sure my next cook they will be nearly perfect. Unless I am wrong :)

-T

Yah, I have a flat "sideless" cast iron skillet that I intend to use. I figure I can get 4 of them on that at one time. That should be enough for me and the wife. I guess if you are hosting a party and want to mass produce, then the GG might be a good option. But, I am looking foward to that flat sided crispy crust that is customary on Culver burgers. IMO, that is what not only differentiates them from being "thin" hamburgers but also gives it the flavor that the crisp crust provides. But, that is just my expectations.

Yeah, using my CI Lodge I can churn out burgers so fast there is no reason to try to cook more than 4 at a time. I can pop off a dozen in nothing flat because the process of actually doing a real smash burger hastens the cooking process to lightning fast. And it's the only way to truly get that crust that a smash is famous for. But sometimes people like the thinner burgers without that crusty exterior. It's why there is chocolate and vanilla. But doing them any other way is like trying to make fois gras from beef liver. Both liver and both IMO quite delicious but not the same :D

We are getting a soaker here this evening, which is keeping me from outside chores and boredom has set. I sat at my desk and tried to envision laying down 16 smash burgers at once. I would not be able to come close. I timed 2 min 11 seconds to drop, smash, season 16 burgers. Where's the flip? At 60 seconds per side I would fail miserably and--while I add cheese immediately after pulling from the griddle--most probably add cheese while their burgers are still grilling.

And I can understand 4 or so but wouldn't a grease drain be necessary for a huge load?

No one needs to reply to this; like I said, I'm just bored, lol.

I used to drop the cheese after the flip. But now I drop the cheese as soon as I put the Burger on the bun. We like cool cheese along with cold tomato, condiments, etc.

I think if I had the smash them on the grill then I don't think I would be able to do 16 right away. I bet with practice I could do it. Those guys at Steak and Shake are super fast.

Yeah, I don't think you can do 16 at a time using the "smash on the cast iron griddle" method unless you're a professional with a commercial kitchen griddle! :D

Don't know if you read the original article by J. Kenji Alt-Lopez that inspired my attempt at Ultra-Smashburgers, but he says the following:

• Smashing ground beef firmly into an ungreased pan increases contact points, delivering maximum crust and maximum flavor.
  • We use a stiff spatula or a bench scraper to scrape the burger up from the pan, making sure to get every last bit of tasty brown crust.
  • By cooking two 2-ounce patties instead of one 4-ounce patty, we get double the amount of crust, while a slice of cheese in between the patties keeps things moist.
And I simply adapted this from the stovetop in a pan to the gas grill with a ripping-hot cast iron griddle.

I'm not about to tell a man how to grill his burger, but I think it would interesting for you to do a little experiment, take some photos, of the result of your "smash off the grill" burger vs. a "smashed on the griddle so it's so thin you can practically see through it" burger and compare the crustification, compare which one you enjoy more, which one is easier/less stressful to make, etc. To be honest, I find them kind of stressful to make because you have to be so prepared and everything happens so quickly.

Good luck Tony, keep up the good work!

I am planning on smash burgers tonight if all works out. But, I am afraid to video it and have it turn into a huge fail....LOL. In my younger days, pride would have ruled it out completely, but as I get older, I tend to care a lot less of what others think.

What is the general suggested seasonings that people use for smash burgers? Or, are they generally made without seasonings?

Only seasoning I use is a pinch of diamond Krystal kosher salt. A pinch is whatever I can grab using only my thumb, index finger and middle finger.

I place on one side only... the raw side once the patties hit the grill.

Gonna go with S&P and I just got done balling up 8 - 2 oz balls of burger. All prepared for later on this evening. Looking forward to it.

Back