Thermocouple cable repair

Ezrem

Well, it finally happened. I pinched the cable for my thermocouple in the hinge of my grill. Readings are, to say the least, wildly incorrect. Fortunately, there is a good 3' of cable between the thermocouple and the damage, so I'm thinking I can just repair it and use an extension.

Can I just clip the cable and open up the mini-K connector and reconnect the wires? Has anyone attempted this type of repair and can recommend things to do/avoid?

Yep, you can just re-attach the wires to the connector. Make sure to note the + and - wires. If you want to extend the wires, make sure you are using the same wire type (k type for the HeaterMeter).

Yep, you can just re-attach the wires to the connector. Make sure to note the + and - wires. If you want to extend the wires, make sure you are using the same wire type (k type for the HeaterMeter).

Thanks! Will the extra M<->F connection in the middle cause any change in temperature readings? I can calibrate in boiling water, but that doesn't mean it's going to be accurate across the full temperature range.

Thanks! Will the extra M<->F connection in the middle cause any change in temperature readings? I can calibrate in boiling water, but that doesn't mean it's going to be accurate across the full temperature range.

Shouldn't matter. Just make sure the connectors are K-Type connectors as not to introduce a different metal in the mix. You can buy K-Type extensions from several places such as E-Bay.

Shouldn't matter. Just make sure the connectors are K-Type connectors as not to introduce a different metal in the mix. You can buy K-Type extensions from several places such as E-Bay.

Thanks for the tip! I think what I will do is just cut out the damaged section of the cable, and add M/F connectors. It looks like these are the MINI K-Type. I'm assuming any K connectors will work though.

Yep. Any K connector should work.

You can introduce different metals, they just have to be the same metal and heated evenly. ie: the male pins on the connector are not made of chromel + alumel and the output pins on the female PCB connector are copper and the traces going from the connector to the PCB are copper.

Back