Just picked up a 1999 Summit 650 NG. Looking to switch to Propane.

Hey guys, new to the forum but love the information shared here. Just found this Summit 650 NG and I'm looking to switch to propane.

Can anyone tell me if these orifices look like they were set up for propane and the previous owner switched to NG without changing the orifices? Or do these look like the NG versions and I need to switch? I ask because as small as the holes are, I thought they may already be propane. Lady I got it from said she hadn't used it in years and it came with the house. Overall it's in great condition.

Last edited:
Photos aren't showing up Mark. If you look at he the right side of the grill cart, is there a tank hanger scale?

Not sure why the photos aren't showing up. I see them when logged in and out.

That sucks that a straight orifice swap won't get the job done. I love these old school summits. Guess I'll start searching for a propane manifold or look into having my house run a NG line.

Thanks guys!

If you have NG service, I'd seriously think about running a line out to the Summit. With 6 burners you're going to go through a lot of propane, with natural gas you never run out of fuel!

Of course he may have am LP grill that some joker just slapped a NG hose on to also. BTW Mark did you check the fire box front before you paid $$$$ for it? If it's rusted you have a direct source of flame behind the control panel and that's "no bueno" potentially dangerous.

It was $free.99 so I'm good with my investment so far. Surprisingly, the grates, firebox, burners, flavorizor bars are all in solid condition. a little bit if rust on the edges of the grease drip pan and needs a new grease trap bracket, but easily replaceable parts. The bottom arm of the front cabinet rusted through, but I've seen on this forum where I can take a 1-1/4 square tubing and get the screw-in end caps from McMaster to fix that right up. Found it on nextdoor.com and family was just looking to get rid of it. Even came with a decent cover. Before disconnecting at their house, they did fire it up.

Definitley thinking about just running a NG line outside as our fireplace inside the house is already run for NG.

Last edited:
That piece of tubing on the older Summits is not square it's rectangular and I don't think there is a way to truly fit a square tube in there unless what you have is not really a 650 but the slightly later version IIRC called a D6

As far as the size of the orifice very tough to tell for sure on a photo but it does appear to be NG sized. Was there a NG regulator under the right hand side table? If so it seals it because most hackers would not know the NG version of this grill came with a regulator

I could do round to stay with the original design. Any ideas on where to find the round nut inserts? Does McMaster carry them?

Also, yes this was hooked up to a NG line and it has the aluminum NG adapter box.

We have stores up here in the midwest called names like Farm & Fleet, Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply and the like. They sell all kinds of stock like that. Not sure what you have down there. The stores up here are typically in areas where there is more rural land and ag business.

Back