14.5 Pork Butt size

Billy Surf

HI! So glad this forum exists! I've been smoking on a weber kettle for a few years (added temp gauge) and just purchased a 14.5 yesterday. I want to smoke a bone in pork butt tomorrow but was curious about how big I can buy. I'd like the largest that will fit on this little guy. Any suggestions (short of bringing the cooking grate into Fred Meyers)? Also, I have only used lump and would like to continue that, any suggestions?

Just guessing (I do that a lot ;) ), any butt I've ever had a chance to buy has been 4-5 lb and IIRC ABOUT 6" long 5" wide. So two five pounders would be around the width of your mini. I'd say 11 lb?

You could always take a meas tape to the store and when you pick your butt (now that sounds rude, doesn't it ;) ), when he's got it on the scale, measure it.

Billy, Len has the best idea, measure it son you know for sure. Don't worry if it barely fits, it will get smaller as you cook it.

Last edited:
Love the tape measuring idea! What about lump? Use less I'm guessing? Will it burn as long as kingsford? I usually do 275 for 5 hours (*ish, till the fat splits), then wrap it and cook another 3 hours or so (275) until bone wiggles nicely.

I did a 10 pound butt in mine not too long ago. Didn't use a catch pan and had major grease drippings flowing out the bottom vents. Outside of that, no problem.

I have done a 10lb turkey in it and it had room. Also have done 2 roast chickens side by side :) I do like Len's idea for taking a measure to ensure.

Last edited:
Don't get to worried about the size. The biggest problem there is that if you over hang the grate, you can burn the edges with the direct heat coming up the sides. To combat this, i make some 4-5 inch squares of foil, tuck them under the exposed edges and fold them up the sides of the meat like a shield. Ultimately the meat shrinks back enough that you can just dicard the foil squares.

BTW, congrats on your 14. I have all three sizes and now use my 14 exclusively for my home cooking. The 18 & 22 come out for comps & large parties/events. Also, I modified a weber rib rack cutting one section off. It now has only 4 slots, but centers much better in my 14.

Enjoy,
Brett.

Last edited:
..and one more thing.

Harry Soo did a comp in a single 14. One day I tried to do 4 meats. I got a brisket flat, a shoulder and 2 racks of ribs done. I couldn't work the chicken in so I ended up doing it on an 18 OTG. It was an adventure, but it was fun. The little 14 can certainly turn out more food than a family of 4 can eat.

B.

I haven't seen a butt that didn't fit a 14.5" WSM yet. I think an 11 pounder is the biggest I have done. If the butt does touch the lid, the meat will shrink over time.

Back