Surf and Turf

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Whenever I have had Filet Mignon, it was at the company Christmas parties and was usually served with button mushrooms as a topping. Not sure how the steak was cooked.
It was always just OK and a better choice than the alternative poached fish. Can't say as it was my favorite cut of beef. Any way... Filet Mignon was on sale this weekend and since my memories of company Christmas parties have faded considerably.... succumbed to impulse and purchased.

cbgW81g.jpg

Cut 3 steaks a little over 2 inches thick, seasoned with K salt, black pepper, garlic salt and cayenne.
So, onto the grill with Weber charcoal and several small splits of red oak over a very hot fire about 12" below the grill grate.

yzj43DI.jpg

Seared for 2 minutes per side and 1 minute on all four "edges".

NOYHU1Z.jpg

Continued grilling, turning, then mopping the meat with a butter/garlic baste every minute until an internal temp of 95* was registered.

WRjhsVB.jpg

Pulled the meat, mopped it, let it rest for 5 minutes and raised the charcoal grate to where the coals were almost touching the grill grate.
Started grilling some corn. Returned the steaks to the grill, turning and basting until an internal temp of 115* was reached. Pulled and rested under foil.

vRrbrZI.jpg

The corn finished.

6az59Xx.jpg

Skewered some extra large shrimp that had been tossed in garlic butter with red pepper flakes and seasoned with lemon zest.
Grilled for several minutes per side.

anxaDPU.jpg

Time To Eat!!!

imAkAk7.jpg

The steak was tender with a great crust. The shrimp was wonderful. And grilled corn is always a hit around here.

Last edited:
Yeowzzzer! The filet looks amazing as do those jumbo shrimp Robert. Great looking "Company" inspired cook! Sprouts gave you a nice price on that roast.

Robert, that is one fantastic cook. That filet is just right and those shrimps outstanding. Corn just the way I like it.

Another winner, Robert! The steaks turned out perfectly, and how could you NOT put that in your cart at $9.99/lb?!? What a great meal!

R

Another wonderful cook Robert. The fillet
mignon and shrimp are cooked to perfection. 👍👍

At that price, I'd think about eating filet several times a week. After seeing that plate, I'd have it 3 meals a day, every day.

I'll have to admit that when I saw the last cooking picture, I was a little skeered. But, boy was I wrong. That steak came out great!! Nice work!!

Back