Another '05 Genesis Platinum C rehab

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all,

Picked up this Genesis Platinum C 2005 last month, the seller just put on new burners so that was a plus...
749aRM8.png

uiYrpbY.png

Rust in the usual spots...
iQ207nw.png

voh1P4x.png

Breaking it down to the frame, man I like this stainless frame...
y9ckwdZ.jpg

SHPmoYz.jpg

Cleaning up the box...
hc3KcSW.jpg

0H1DEn2.jpg

Testing out the burners...
nLrGcg6.jpg

GPvY7dy.jpg

Check out the next post for more pics...

Putting on the bling (RC hardware)...
UIcaVrX.jpg

VHYQzlh.jpg

Icu1pH7.jpg

Almost done, just waiting for the rack (and proper side burner control knob for this model)
37akx6n.jpg

XFWe3kG.jpg

QkgeVzX.jpg

Rehab is done...
HBSgueS.jpg

Pjj4Bts.jpg

VdSAEwH.jpg

Father's Day dinner...
aTOKK40.jpg

Last edited:
Sam,
Grill came out nice. I like the "old school" lid on it too.

Wonder why Weber used stainless on all the frame pieces with the exception of the two longer bottom cross braces? That is where most of the rusting happens.

Food looks great as well.

Jeff

That is really a nice restore. Keep it covered and clean and it will last for another 20 years.

Sam,
Grill came out nice. I like the "old school" lid on it too.

Wonder why Weber used stainless on all the frame pieces with the exception of the two longer bottom cross braces? That is where most of the rusting happens.

Food looks great as well.

Jeff

Thanks. What's weird is that on this model grill there are no two longer bottom braces. The bottom piece (bottom accessory panel) is made to look like there longer bottom braces but there are none...here is the replacement piece...https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1476850.html, but if you look at the schematics...https://www.ereplacementparts.com/w...tinum-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193352.html there are no longer bottom braces that attach to the frame. Not sure why Weber made it that way.

Nice restore job on that one Sam. That thing will last forever. I have a Genesis Gold B that I topped with an old school lid to turn it into a redhead.

Thanks. What's weird is that on this model grill there are no two longer bottom braces. The bottom piece (bottom accessory panel) is made to look like there longer bottom braces but there are none...here is the replacement piece...https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1476850.html, but if you look at the schematics...https://www.ereplacementparts.com/w...tinum-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193352.html there are no longer bottom braces that attach to the frame. Not sure why Weber made it that way.

The later Silver B/C and Gold did not have these cross bars going from left to right. They either came with a basket or a closed shelf. Later one tends to rust badly. Unfortunately the shelf from the Platinum is regular steel only.
I have been for the lookout for a Platinum as well but they are rare.

The later Silver B/C and Gold did not have these cross bars going from left to right. They either came with a basket or a closed shelf. Later one tends to rust badly. Unfortunately the shelf from the Platinum is regular steel only.
I have been for the lookout for a Platinum as well but they are rare.

Yup, I've been on the lookout as well and as soon as I saw this one I had to have it.

You are way ahead of me, but I had to park my Platinum after disassembling to work on two other restorations. I have, however, lined up some part solutions. One is to utilize stainless frame tubing my sheet metal friend cut for me. Like you said, Weber stopped using horizontal frame bottoms, switching instead to one piece wire racks or solid bottoms to provide cross support. I am sure it was done to save money and streamline production. I don’t think George :george: would have liked that:mad:. The only problem I have is that I had him cut the stainless to fit the earlier Genesis extended cart (I needed tubes to replace rusty ones), but I discovered the newer extended carts like this Platinum are shorter. I know, “Measure twice, cut once!” Well at least the tubes can be recut for newer frames. Good thing I didn’t do it the other way:eek:!

The other thing I am working on is using old durawood slats and stainless z brackets I already owned to make my own bottom. Like you, I am getting rid of the cabinetry, but I am going to try hard to maintain the stainless and “monochrome” look. (I am not blessed to have a cool classic Platinum hood like you do. Yours came out great:cool:!) Somewhere I saw high heat silver paint, so using that and grays, I hope to make the now exposed undersides of the grill consistent with the 05-06 Platinum look.

Has anyone thought of using square aluminum tubing? Much easier to work with and definitely rust proof

I have one of these and was going to replace it with something with more BTUs, but seems like folks think these are worth restoring so I am rethinking. Anyways, I have grease stains on the plastic that surrounds the stainless inlays, and nothing I've tried removes it. Any advice?

I have one of these and was going to replace it with something with more BTUs, but seems like folks think these are worth restoring so I am rethinking. Anyways, I have grease stains on the plastic that surrounds the stainless inlays, and nothing I've tried removes it. Any advice?

I've used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and have had good results.

Sam, that is a nice grill. Where did you find the bottom wire rack? I recently bought a silver c with the solid rack that was rusted badly. I ended up purchasing one (solid rack) from Weber. I couldn't find a wire rack.

Sam, that is a nice grill. Where did you find the bottom wire rack? I recently bought a silver c with the solid rack that was rusted badly. I ended up purchasing one (solid rack) from Weber. I couldn't find a wire rack.

Thanks Dale, yah I might have gotten lucky and ordered the last rack that Weber made for that style. I ordered it from appliancefactoryparts.com.

I've used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and have had good results.

Thanks Sam, I'll give it a try.

Just got off the phone with Weber - my lid has rusted out from the inside so they are sending me a new one under warrantee. So, guess I'll be doing a restore rather than a replace! Unfortunately, they said they no longer make the stainless lid and are sending me a black one. :mad:

LarryS,

First, Welcome to TVWBB!

A lot of us here are big fans and proponents of the “classic” original Weber Genesis design. Your Platinum is pretty much the last of that twenty year run. While opinions about the “monocoque” light gray and stainless look vary - I personally really like it - I think most would agree that with its all stainless frame, the Platinum was the best built of these Genesis grills. It is definitely worth a nice restoration.

For the tables have you tried the Dawn special high end degreaser (or the Sams Club near equivalent grill and oven cleaner)? If nothing will clean the plastic the last resort might be to use the method advocated by some to lightly sand down the plastic to reveal new clean plastic.

Last edited:
LarryS,

First, Welcome to TVWBB!

For the tables have you tried the Dawn special high end degreaser (or the Sams Club near equivalent grill and oven cleaner)? If nothing will clean the plastic the last resort might be to use the method advocated by some to lightly sand down the plastic to reveal new clean plastic.

Thanks for the welcome Jon. When I was on the phone with Weber today, they also suggested Dawn, so between that and the magic eraser, hopefully I'll be all set.

Looks like I'm fully committed now - just ordered the RCPlaneBuyer 3/8 stainless grates, and a new burner tube set from Weber!

Thanks for the welcome Jon. When I was on the phone with Weber today, they also suggested Dawn, so between that and the magic eraser, hopefully I'll be all set.

Looks like I'm fully committed now - just ordered the RCPlaneBuyer 3/8 stainless grates, and a new burner tube set from Weber!

That’s just perfect. You will love those grates, and they will take your Platinum to an even better level. Post pictures when u can. Everyone enjoys that. You can search on the site for instructions on how to do this.

Back