Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coffee maker

Cowboy coffee...

I haven't had coffee this way in years, but it was too long ago to remember. I wonder if it is easier on the stomach.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Cowboy coffee...

I haven't had coffee this way in years, but it was too long ago to remember. I wonder if it is easier on the stomach.
    Interesting claim about the acid - where does it go?
    ; ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Interesting claim about the acid - where does it go?
    Good question!

I haven't the slightest idea unless the act of boiling the grounds neutralizes the acid.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Good question!

I haven't the slightest idea unless the act of boiling the grounds neutralizes the acid.
    Cold-brewed coffee is supposed to be quite a bit less acidic - this article says ~67% less than hot brewed:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coffee...-little-secret

I don't know about that but I do enjoy cold brewed coffee. I first read about it in a cookbook (El Norte: The Cuisine of Northern Mexico, iirc), then I got the Toddy cold brew system it mentioned. I don't think I've made it more than 10x, & it seems like it's been more than a year since the last time. I've been meaning to make a fresh batch for months now. It might be a bit of a eye-opener for you; they say to dilute it but I drink it almost straight.

TVWBB Pro
    Decades ago I did a cold brew where I put about half a pound of ground coffee in a quart mason jar, filled it with water, and let it sit in the refrigerator for like 24 hours. Then I strained it though a paper coffee filter. This made a concentrate that could be used for a variation on instant coffee. Fill a cup with hot water and add a tablespoon or two of the concentrate. It was okay. Certainly better than any instant coffee you could get at the store. But it turned out I really don't like instant coffee no matter how good it is. It's just not fresh brewed.

As for cowboy coffee, if I'm looking for advice on how to rope a steer, I'll ask a cowboy. When it comes to coffee, I think I'll listen to people who make coffee for a living. A full boil is the last thing you want when making coffee.
    Last edited by JayHeyl; 07-25-2018 at 01:43 PM.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    My older brother makes cowboy/campfire coffee that if you don't like it, then you don't like coffee period.
    I don't remember if he adds eggshells and/or a little cold water at the end of the boil, but he does take it off the fire at the first sign of a boil.
    Smooth stuff!
    Last edited by Bob Correll; 07-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    My older brother makes cowboy/campfire coffee that if you don't like it, then you don't like coffee period.
    I don't remember if he adds eggshells and/or a little cold water at the end of the boil, but he does take it off the fire at the first sign of a boil.
    Smooth stuff!
    Reckon this has something to do with it?...

Honestly, I thought a coat of coffee resin inside the pot, over time, would make coffee bitter. Maybe not?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234