New Router now I can’t connect

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
My AirPort Extreme died so I fired up my old Linksys WRT-310N that’s running DD-wrt on it. My heatermeter won’t connect wirelessly for some reason. I’ve hooked it up wired to verify user and pass information and it’s correct. The SSID is the same as my AirPort, and the security settings are the same. WPA2 psk on the heatermeter and WPA2 personal on the router. I’ve tried adding a static to the heatermeter with no luck. I’ve also tried switching channels. Any thoughts?

I think it has do with the different MAC address on the new router, if I recall correctly (I could be wrong). Bryan answered that question for someone else about a month ago, maybe you can search and find that answer or maybe he will chime in here and reiterate....
or you could do a fresh build on your SD card and connect to your new router as if it was the first time connecting.

Might be the BSSID instead of the MAC, I think you can manually change that in the HM config or maybe even just delete what is there from the old router... or I think a fresh build and/or a RESET from the HM menu would clear things so you can connect to the new router.

So I tried a fresh SD install on a different SD card and that didn’t work either. I pulled the card and check the config in my pc and all the info was there. Not sure what’s goinng in here. My new router (Asus) should be here today. It’s just frustrating that I can’t connect on my overnight cook I’m doing.

By reset do you mean the “Reset Config” from the heatermeter menu? If so what do that change? It doesn’t mess with PIDs does it?

That reset from the HM menu does a full reset I believe, so you would want to write down your PID settings before you do that. The reason you want the reset is so the wifi settings from your old router do not get restored, though I had thought fresh installs no longer restored settings at boot on recent releases. (not sure, but reset should wipe all)
Another thought is perhaps its something odd with your router not allowing the HM in, rather than being the HM not wanting to talk to the router. Perhaps try dropping security on your router briefly and see if the HM will connect. Once upon a time I had a HM that wouldn't connect to a router no matter what I tried. I dropped security and it connected, then turned security back on and it still connected... Never could explain WHY, but it worked!

Last edited:
Not sure what the issue was but when I got my new Asus today I finally got it to work. It didn’t seem like it was taking the info from the SD card. When I went into the HM over wired connection I was able to get it to work. Although going in over wired on my temp router wouldn’t work. Anyways, it’s working now.

Back