Genesis burner problem

BCreel

I recently picked up a used E-320. I’ve been using it for a few weeks now and everything has been fine. Last night, I was trying to do some low and slow cooking but couldn’t get my temperature right. Turns out, when I turn my middle burner down to low, it shuts off. The left and right burners don’t have this problem. How do I go about fixing this? Thanks!

The burners and especially the spider guards need a good cleaning. Also pay attention to the manifold. You may have an issue with corrosion on the orifice(s) and or debris and corrosion in the spool valve(s). A good valve disassembly, clean and lube would be in order (look for a thread from Chris who put up a very thorough instructional video based on instructions I posted) and it takes you through a full disassembly, and cleaning. If you do it I recommend you only do one valve at a time. This way if you get in trouble you can look at the others. (Old mechanic trick)

The burners and especially the spider guards need a good cleaning. Also pay attention to the manifold. You may have an issue with corrosion on the orifice(s) and or debris and corrosion in the spool valve(s). A good valve disassembly, clean and lube would be in order (look for a thread from Chris who put up a very thorough instructional video based on instructions I posted) and it takes you through a full disassembly, and cleaning. If you do it I recommend you only do one valve at a time. This way if you get in trouble you can look at the others. (Old mechanic trick)

Thanks for the info. I'll track down the video and get to work on it.

I saw Chris post a video about valve cleaning on another web site, but I can't remember if the valve covers had replaceable gaskets or not. Mine seem to be a little sluggish, and I thought about cleaning them soon.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but does Weber make replacement valve screws? Two of mine are rusted out a bit. (I can re-post in another thread if necessary)

By the way, welcome to the forum, BCreel!

I dont think so. I seem to remember another member having lost one and wound up finding a screw in some sewing machine parts after not being able to find a replacement local or online.

These screws look like something that would fit in the carburetor of a small gas engine for what it's worth.

Again, I say this a lot, but sometimes your best bet is to find a donor grill to canibalize. Any old broken down weber grill on a curb for free pickup should work. It might take some time, but it is an eventual solution.

Maybe another forum member has an old trashed or "nearly" trashed manifold laying around that they wouldn't mind stealing a couple screws from to send you. It kind of sucks, but I tossed a broken down Spirit 500 last week and I let it go with the manifold.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but does Weber make replacement valve screws? Two of mine are rusted out a bit. (I can re-post in another thread if necessary)

By the way, welcome to the forum, BCreel!

Rusty, there is a guy can't remember the thread and I believe it was a 1000 he found those screws not from Weber that fit the valves have to do a bit of searching but for sure since I think he stripped one coming out he posted the size.

The Summit 450 I just did took a 3mm thread that a 2 mm Allen wrench fit. YMMV.

A metric screw? Sounds like that model was made overseas?

Mine is a year 2000 Silver C. I assume it was made here (with non-metric screws?).

Weber does not sell such hardware (as was mentioned earlier). They only sell the entire manifold.

Rusty, there is a guy can't remember the thread and I believe it was a 1000 he found those screws not from Weber that fit the valves have to do a bit of searching but for sure since I think he stripped one coming out he posted the size.

Thanks, Brian. I'll do a search ASAP.

Last edited:
Is it not possible to dribble a little WD-40 on the top of the valve stem, and let it slowly penetrate into the valve itself? Is that taboo?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the link, Bryan!

WD-40 won't do anything except maybe easier to get the valve out which actually with a little bit of pulling you will get the body out and it won't take the heat although they make a grease now but the stuff recommended on the forum is .99 a package. Your going to need the grease to keep it working properly going forward thin and I mean thin stay away from the valve body holes don't want to clog them.

Back