Tried my buddy's Q1200

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So my buddy and his wife just bought a brand new 31' camper to tow behind the new GMC pickup he just bought. It's a nice rig. More like a small house than camping. Lots of cabinets, quartz counters, full bathroom, queen size bedroom, couch, large screen tv and much more. He was trying it out this weekend at a very nice RV place here in far NW Winnebago county along the Sugar River.
So he also bought a brand new (and Bruce you will like this) blue head Q1200. So I went up there and we christened it with a couple nice ribeyes from sams club. Beautiful sear from the CI grate, held the 3 VERY large steaks very well with room to flip and move them around.
Sorry no photos byt they were delicious

I just got mine Larry and I'm loving it. Great little grills. So far I've made pork chops, chicken thighs and steak fajitas on it. I really don't know what to do with my Genesis Gold B, I really don't see myself using it much now that I have the Q1200.

Well the little guy is really only good for "grilling" whereas the Genesis is good for doing many more things. I've made pizza on mine (before I got the Wolf) you can bake on it, rotisserie, roast, smoke, and so on all things that are not really possible or effective on a Q series. But yeah if all you ever do is grill up stuff I could see your point

Well the little guy is really only good for "grilling" whereas the Genesis is good for doing many more things. I've made pizza on mine (before I got the Wolf) you can bake on it, rotisserie, roast, smoke, and so on all things that are not really possible or effective on a Q series. But yeah if all you ever do is grill up stuff I could see your point

I'm a charcoal guy Larry. For pizza I have the Kettle Pizza attachment and for smoking I have my WSM's. I pretty much use the gasser when I'm in a hurry. I'm finding this little guy has enough room for our family of three and you can get some great sear marks with it too.

Speaking of blue head Q1200's. If a guy is a Cubs fan, this would be a great buy IMO. This Ace hdwr store is about 20 miles from where I live. Its a great buy even if it didn't have the MLB logo.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1821772014553226

Wish I had some extra $. That is a great price. Weber had a similar deal last fall that I missed out on. Have a very good friend who is a Cub fan and a cousin in Chicagoland also. Would make an awesome gift. Myself I would prefer a black one with Chicago White Sox logos:eek:. That is actually a little part of what my pathetically slow Skyline project is going to be about...

Thanks for sharing, Larry.

I take it the Q series of grills need an adapter to handle 20 lb propane tanks?

Yes it does. Interestingly someone had posted here they tried using an adapter to hook up to their camper's larger LP supply that is piped and regulated and that the use of 2 regulators (one on the RV and one on the grill) caused the grill to not work. Not sure who that was and the consensus was you cannot run 2 regulators in series like that. Well, that is exactly what my friend did. He used a 15' hose that was made up by the RV company to hook up to a regulated LP connector on the back of the RV. So one side is a quick connect to hook to the RV itself and a screw in connector that fits where the small bottle would fit on the Q
Well much to my surprise it works just fine. So if anyone uses an RV I can vouch for the setup to work perfectly

Back