Two-step Raichlen Roast

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
During Easter 2017 I purchased a couple three-bone rib roasts at Meijer; I never had one and they were what I thought to be a good price. The dilemma: our household eats our beef well done, although I can do medium-well, as can one of the Sons. Others lose their appetite at the site of pink. I'm embarrassed to admit that but it is reality and, so, I will never show a plated pic. One evening this week, I finally had the courage to attempt this roast using Raichlen's method that I watched sometime ago. It was seasoned and then she spun for a while on the Kettle. Thereafter, I divided it into three steaks and slapped them on the Santa Maria attachment, turning frequently until resting them on the carving board. Taste is relative and, so, my experience is that a portion of the cut was heavenly--one of uniqueness that I've never experienced--while the remaining steak was pretty good. I suppose my main reason for sharing this is to express my continued joy from using this new attachment; it is a real treat. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
The dilemma: our household eats our beef well done, although I can do medium-well, as can one of the Sons. Others lose their appetite at the site of pink. I'm embarrassed to admit that but it is reality and, so, I will never show a plated pic.

Had to take some courage to come clean with that. Just don't post that you use lighter fluid.:p

Two step cook on a rib roast, I might give that a go, thanks for sharing.

Had to take some courage to come clean with that. Just don't post that you use lighter fluid.:p

lol. Weber cubes do the trick for me. I started down this path of charcoal 2 1/2 years ago and during one of my first $9.99 KBB purchases I remember the offer included free containers of fluid. I wasn't given any, nor did I ask for it. So at least I'm good in that regard.

You do what works for you and if it tasted good and you were satisfied... winner winner. My son is a well done guy also and Barb and I feel if we don't have to chase it around the plate it's done. You work around it.

It all eats! My wife and DIL recoil at the sight of pinkness! I try to get something large enough to allow one end “spoilage”.
The last one worked pretty well, just a touch over done on the “less well” but, fine on the other, next time, they get hot dogs and wife’s son and I will have it “our way”!

Gotta please the crowd. Maybe you should cook so that you get what you like and they do too?

Your rib roast looks great. You shouldn't feel embarrassed over food preference of you or your family. To each their own. I was raised around nothing but well done beef and pork. My Mom always asked for the end cut when we were having prime rib out. My preference as an adult is medium rare but I enjoy it well done also, as long as the flavors right. I would have enjoyed seeing your plate.

Back