Question About the Serving Size Calculator

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I'll be serving up pulled pork sandwiches next weekend at a friend's event. I'm assuming a crowd size of 40-50. So, I went and played around on the Pulled Pork Butt Servings Calculator to get an idea of how much to buy. One thing that I noticed in looking at the calculator page is that there's no reference to whether or not it's calculating the butt weight based on whether the butt is bone in or bone out. I'm assuming that it's boneless butt. I've found that my favorite butts are the bone in kind. So, I'm wondering how much weight that bone adds in and, therefore, how much bigger of a butt that I'll have to get. For example, if it calculates that I need 10 lbs., do I have to get an 11 lbs. butt if it's bone in?

Any insight y'all may have would be much appreciated!! Thanks and happy weekend!!!

Good question, I would always go to the “Heavy side”. I find if I figure on ten pounds I seem to end up making about 30-50% more and either send bags home or freeze the leftovers. It’s always nice to be able to make a sandwich when you get the urge and don’t have time to smoke.

If pulled pork is the only thing (protein) on the menu, I usually plan 1/3 to 1/2 lb. per adult. Also, in my experience, I get less than 50% finished product. In fact, on my last cook, I did three 8 lb. bone-in butts and got about 9 lbs of pulled pork.

BD

Sometime ago, I weighed the bone twice after pulling. Each was 5.x oz on 8.x pork shoulders (not picnics). At that point I never weighed the bone again. And on just a few occasions I weighed the raw shoulder and then the finished shoulder (after the bone was removed and the pork was pulled); I calculated 53%-60% yields. I do exactly what TFL does; send it home with guests and/or freeze it - it serves very well as leftovers from Foodsaver bags to simmering water.

I think that the majority of people that cook pork butts, the bone is in. So that is what I vote for.
As BBQ is not a science, YMMV (your mileage my vary).
Russell

Back