Thread: Royal Oak Charcoal on sale again at Loes

TVWBB Super Fan

Royal Oak Charcoal on sale again at Loes

Royal Oak 15.4 LB bags on sale at Lowes for $4 ea. Sale runs through 6/20.
    Genesis EP-320 - steel gray (2010 model), Chargriller Super Pro, 22.5 OTG, 2014 Performer (Copper), 2014 Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Masterbuilt Pro duel fuel smoker, 18.5" WSM

TVWBB Fan
    I've never used royal oak. Kbb & stubs are my goto's. How is it?

I find it to have less ash that KBB, and not as expensive as Stubs.
    Blue Performer 22 WSM Blue Q 1200

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_D View Post
    I've never used royal oak. Kbb & stubs are my goto's. How is it?
    It has a nice aroma and doesn't burn as hot as KBB, so I prefer it for smoking in the WSM. I wouldn't use it for any recipe that calls for high heat grilling, though.

The best thing about it IMO is that it doesn't put out the white fog on start up the way that KBB does.

It is good stuff for low and slow cooking/smoking.
    Genesis EP-320 - steel gray (2010 model), Chargriller Super Pro, 22.5 OTG, 2014 Performer (Copper), 2014 Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Masterbuilt Pro duel fuel smoker, 18.5" WSM

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    It has a nice aroma and doesn't burn as hot as KBB, so I prefer it for smoking in the WSM. I wouldn't use it for any recipe that calls for high heat grilling, though.

The best thing about it IMO is that it doesn't put out the white fog on start up the way that KBB does.

It is good stuff for low and slow cooking/smoking.
    Agreed.

I like to use it to line the bottom of my 18.5" WSM before filling the ring with Royal Oak lump. The small briquettes prevent smaller lump pieces from falling through the grate.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

Hey guys new to the forum. I am a big BBq guy and recently just snagged a WSM 18". I stock up on charcoal every year at the depot for the twin bag deal but this year i was in a pinch so grabbed some of these royal oak bags. So far not impressed wasn't able to keep a snake going in my weber? Am I missing anything? Never have a problem with kingsford.
    Last edited by JimZ; 06-19-2018 at 12:13 PM.

TVWBB Olympian
    the stuff on sale is in a new bag and says hardwood charcoal. I have used royal oak for like forever and have never had call to question it. as to the snake way, I have never tried it nor do I see a need for it. just me. if you want to do that system then maybe alter it a bit and see if that works. just because it fails once in what you are trying to do does not automatically condemn the charcoal. experiment till you find what works for you.
    George
    Can't live without spam

Quote Originally Posted by George Curtis View Post
    the stuff on sale is in a new bag and says hardwood charcoal. I have used royal oak for like forever and have never had call to question it. as to the snake way, I have never tried it nor do I see a need for it. just me. if you want to do that system then maybe alter it a bit and see if that works. just because it fails once in what you are trying to do does not automatically condemn the charcoal. experiment till you find what works for you.
    I plan to try it again for sure! I have 4 bags of the stuff!