Thread: Q Tri Tip a la Phil Hartcher

Q Tri Tip a la Phil Hartcher

When I first picked up my Q, I did a bunch of reading to try to get a feel for how to cook on this grill. By far, the works of Phil Hartcher from Australia were the best resource, and I climbed the learning curve quickly with his guidance. Tonight, I did my first indirect cook on the Q using my version of the Weber Trivet (which, if it was ever sold here in the US, was discontinued long ago.....) Anyway, I found a quarter sheet pan sized rack, and used some foil with holes below. Pre-heated the Q, added my trivet, and dialed it down to Medium, which settled in at 360-380.

Tri tip just on (with a couple of therms to keep an eye on things):

After it hit 124 internal, I pulled it, fired the Q to high for 5 minutes, then onto the searing phase (TT rose to 127 internal in this time.....):

....and sliced on my plate with a steamed artichoke w/mayo:

This was a very easy cook (with Phil's words to guide me), and turned out well. The TT was more rare than it shows in the picture, and was plenty juicy with a nice crust. This was just what I needed for a quick weeknight grill session, when there was enough other stuff going on that fussing with the charcoal didn't seem like as much fun as usual.

Q on folks!

R

Thanks for sharing Rich, that TT looks great. I'm going to read some of Phil's stuff too. My Q is new to me and I want to get the most out of it.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Thanks, Pat. He put together a Q cooking guide in .pdf, which you should be able to find with some Googling. If you canít, PM me and Iíll locate it for you. Good stuff!

R

Rich, that was an awesome cook, it all looks so yummy. Great job.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Lovely plate Rich. TT looks outstanding and love the artichoke.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Nicely done tri-tip, Rich. Your plate, tri-tip and the artichoke has to be a little bit of heaven.

Yeah... gassers are handy sometimes. I do hot dogs for lunch on mine every once in a while. They are real good in a boillo roll with mayo, dijon, sweet relish, ketchup and a beer.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-R View Post
    I do hot dogs for lunch on mine every once in a while. They are real good in a boillo roll with mayo, dijon, sweet relish, ketchup and a beer.
    Man, that would hit the spot right now, Robert!