Genesis 2 Firbox Issue

Christopher S

The bolt snapped off on the left side of my firebox. Tried drilling it out slowly but the drill bit snapped off half way through. In your experiences what my next step? Any old threads? I’d like to salvage the entire grill for nostalgia reasons. Thanks in advance...Chris

You can try from the other side that may work IOW if you were drilling from the inside try from the outside or vice' versa. Try better quality bits also. If you were using one of those black oxide types they snap pretty easily. Try the higher cost ones that look more like gold color. Start small but not so small the bit does not have the strength to "bite"

Start with a small drill bit so you can center in the old bolt and then gradually increase the drill bit size.

The bolt snapped off on the left side of my firebox. Tried drilling it out slowly but the drill bit snapped off half way through. In your experiences what my next step? Any old threads? I’d like to salvage the entire grill for nostalgia reasons. Thanks in advance...Chris

Chris on mine the head of the bolt broke off the frame crossmember before the firebox, inside the firebox there was a nut filled with gunk could barely tell. I was able to grab that nut with vicegrips and just kept turning it you would do it counter clockwise as if you were on the outside tightening it. It came out without drilling but maybe you have a different situation.

I have had bits snap while trying to drill out the fire box bolts. As mentioned before, start with a small bit and work your way up. Also, try drilling from the other direction if you snapped a bit. Sometimes, it just takes a while and a few bits to get the job done. Wear safety glasses.

I broke a bolt head and the rest of the bolt is still in the firebox. I then broke an easy out in the bolt. I’ve been grinding the easy out with a dremel but it’s slow, I’m thinking a better bet will be to weld a nut to the bolt/ easy out and twist it out. I’m just not sure I want to try to remove the firebox from the frame and likely break more bolts.

Last edited:
If it's the bolt that holds the FB to the frame you may as well. (remove the box). Forget the dremel and get a real grinder (even a cheap one) with a cutoff wheel. Than VERY carefully center punch the area and try drilling again using plenty of oil to help the bit "cut" easily. It will come out. Even if you weld on a nut the bolt will simply break again only deeper

Back