Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rustoleum 900 Degree Caliper Paint Genesis 1000

TVWBB Pro
    Larry hopefully the acetone did the trick but we will see time will tell. For sure the simple green did not do it but I had done some searching on painting bare metal and almost all those hits they used Acetone. One hit on a metal site stated that the simple green even if rinsed will leave a slight film that can cause a problem.

Hey plenty of people with good results on the board but as I stated I thought they looked pretty good using the simple green rinsing it but when I used the Acetone to wipe them down there was still a lot of black on the cloth so for sure what appeared to be clean was not.

Maybe we should just go with shiny aluminum end caps???? LOL.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B Atlanta View Post
    So here are a few pictures of the end caps sprayed with the caliper paint.

Its very glossy not for all but I was really using it to see if it will hold up better and not ending looking like the caps at the top. As with any gloss paint it takes a lot of coats to get the gloss uniform. It probably could have used a few more light coats but its grilling season and since I have another grill losing it for a few weeks was not a big deal but the wife I could tell was starting to get a bit impatient since this is really her grill and since she is on a health kick cooking stuff I won't eat.

I took the end caps down to bare metal with the wire cup brush, sprayed them down with simple green, rinsed and wiped them off. Then I used a rag with Acetone to wipe them down before painting. I was surprised how much black dust from the old paint was on the rag when I used the Acetone. So it was a little deceiving I thought I was good to go after the simple green and rinsing then wiping down with a cloth but I was not.

Maybe most likely since I had not used the Acetone the last time there was residue on the paint that led to failure.

Man, Brian, that grill is just gorgeous! Those side pieces are the best I have ever seen. I do think you are right about going the extra mile with acetone or maybe xylene to get metal really clean. Larry has mentioned that, too. It is hard to resist the “get’r done!” urge when you are wanting to get a project toward completion, but if you want high-end results like yours you have to go the full measure. I need to be more patient!
    Genesis Platinum Silver C Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s Black '74 18, SJ. Projects: Skyline & 2 many others!

TVWBB Pro
    Thanks Jon now the frame looks dull.

If the lids hold up maybe do the frame in the winter, but eventually this is going to my daughter when she has a house down the road so might leave that for her fiance whose name is Jon also.

TVWBB Pro
    So just trying to update been a month and 1/2 give or take the caliper paint on the side lids looks exactly the same as my photo's, good so far we will see down the road won't update this thread till end of year unless they degrade but again so far so good.

Awesome, thanks for the update. I just noticed you did the cookbox in gloss as well. I always use the matte on that. I may give the caliper paint a shot there as well.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12