Thread: Rustoleum 900 Degree Caliper Paint Genesis 1000

TVWBB Super Fan

Rustoleum 900 Degree Caliper Paint Genesis 1000

So for the team as Jon does all the time, since my lids with three coats of Ultra were toast after 2 sessions maybe cause I did not get all the raised paint off which mine were in bad shape. This was after 3 coats of ultra in defense of the paint my manifold was nat gas they just stuck a propane connection on it got past 700 when I fired it up.

Also I had repaired the cross member the firebox bolts into meaning sanding it down 3 coats started to rust thru again. Took the damn thing apart last weekend took my orbital sander to that piece spayed with 3 coats of the 900 within an hour waited 4 days that paint you can re-coat in 24 hours not taking a chance hit it with 2 more coats tonight.

This paint is thicker and it has the good nozzle not the one that will break your finger but cause it is thicker you need to be a little more careful with it. Its for sure more glossy than the ultra wish I had resprayed the whole frame but to quote Stefan it is not a prom queen so that was not happening. However if I had known about this stuff before I would have used it for the frame. This paint is available from Amazon but its an add on so you need to spend 25 bucks. Good price also.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...ZLRBBO/tvwb-20

Spraying the side lids this weekend gonna use the simple green sand it with 220 with my orbital sander then wipe it down with denatured alcohol before I paint it. Time will tell if it holds up better we will see.

These are before pictures of the side lids will post the after when I'm done.

Brian,

I will be very interested to see how this paint works. If it turns out better than Ultra, we should start recommending it instead.

On the cross-member, are you saying it started rusting through again? If so, I hope your hard work does the trick this time. If not, maybe you can switch out with a stainless replacement of the same size frame tubing. That piece is always a problem...
    Genesis 330-SE Genesis Silver C Q3200 Q1200 Performer 1 green kettle. Projects: Genesis Skyline 4000 one redhead and one maroon Genesis 1000 Summit 650.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Brian,
    Let us know how those End Caps come out.

I used VHT Caliper paint on one of my frames and it came out very smooth and even. Wiped clean nicely.

Jeff

TVWBB Super Fan
    So Jeff and Rusty would know better than I but if I remember the caliber paint in the old days was good to 500 so was the engine enamel which again is extremely smooth paint used it to paint my tank scale bracket and a trim piece that Jon supplied also used it to spray the rusted spots on the propane manifold because I ran out of Ultra had the engine enamel laying around. They would know being auto guys if the 900 is fairly new.

The engine enamel takes a few days to dry where this 900 seemed to be okay and to be honest did not touch it for a day rather be safe than sorry but it was dry to the touch they claim less then an hour. The engine enamel is quite the finish but this is pretty good also and Jeff used VHT before not for this doubt there is much difference between the two but they have always made quality paints.

We will see painting this weekend and Jon I believe on the frame piece the firebox bolts into should have taken it to bare metal kind of roughed it up pretty good cause not looking for perfection but I had used the eastwood encapsulator on that its a good product but now I am starting to think it can't take the heat cause that section gets pretty hot. If you use the caliper paint no need for that product anyway.

I have been using Rusto ulta on all my end caps with no known problems. My personal grill has gotten up and over 600 many times during cooks and burn offs and other than grease and gunk, the paint looks great. I am wondering if the paint you left on under neath the ultra should have been taken off of maybe you had some kind of contaminants that were not cleaned off before spraying.

Rather than trying to sand off the old paint, I would consider using an angle grinder and wire cup brush. It is much more effective and gets into the creases and corners a bit better than sand paper.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

TVWBB Fan
    I never have great success with spray painting. I either have too much paint on or too little. Or there is spray dust ..... So since the cast aluminum has a kind of orange peel surface on the outside of the firebox and the lid sides anyhow I decided to use a roller. 4" woofen roller and the 1 qt Rusto High Heat satin BBQ paint. For the little grooves in the firebox I use a paint brush. Doing two coats, this has come out nice so far. But I don't have any long time experience yet how the paint holds up over years.
    Genesis Gold C, 22" Kettle and 2 x Genesis Silver B under restoration.