Pozole

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
We love Pozole. Can't get enough of it and haven't for quite a while.
Hispanic supermarket here had the Pozole mix on sale this week. Got!

iuWpwpz.jpg

Picked up 2 lbs. of nixtamal from my favorite tortilleria.

bGZGxSf.jpg

Heating the nixtamal in water with half a head of garlic chunks.

bLrrBXv.jpg

Heating the pork in water with 1 1/2 tbs of salt.

0Ullgdw.jpg

After the meat was boiling for a while, skimmed the fat and added a chopped onion.

Z2kkeyy.jpg

After both pots were brought to a boil, reduced to a simmer and cooked for several hours. Temps were around 350* in the cookers. KBB for heat.
These Caliente gill kits come in real handy for a cook like this. Makes it ez to adjust heat in the Dutch ovens.
Somehow I ended up with two of them: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74149-Caliente-Argentine-Tuscan-Grill-Kit-Review

VoT7W0f.jpg

Seeded Ancho, Negro and Guajillo chiles soaked in hot water for 20 minutes.

S1Yyfly.jpg

Chilies and water into the blender. Liquefied.

qgd8Dtk.jpg

Then strained. And added to the nixtamal.

D3NRrU8.jpg

Cooked the pork until it was falling apart. Separated the fat and bones from the meat.

t3Y7VcM.jpg

Last edited:
Mclnimw.jpg

Added the meat and 3 cups of the pork broth to the nixtamal. Salted to taste.

PsH21VH.jpg

And let it simmer for another hour or so.

Time To Eat!

k0Rmkcp.jpg

¡¡¡Maldita sea!!! Claro que estuvo bien.

Last edited:
ARE.....YOU.....KIDDING.....ME?!?!??! Robert, this is awesome! First, that's the cleanest dutch I've ever seen (and I say that knowing it's a working dutch, not some cabinet queen!) Second, well, everything! Great pictorial on how this came together, and, if it wasn't 90 degrees outside, I'd be planning to make this! :)

From what I can tell, "Pozole Mix" is the same as "Random Pig Parts"? :)

R

Robert, this is just and outstanding cook. One of your best. That looks absolutely delicious and will have to keep this in mind for my line up, if I ever can get cooking again. Loved the cooking process as this is right up my alley with my Santa Maria style attachment. Love being able to raise and lower the grate for quick temperature adjustments. Your Caliente, or I guess I should say Caliente's, seem to perform perfectly for this type cook. Thanks for the walk through. I recognize and admire the prep and effort you put into this cook.

ARE.....YOU.....KIDDING.....ME?!?!??! Robert, this is awesome! First, that's the cleanest dutch I've ever seen (and I say that knowing it's a working dutch, not some cabinet queen!) Second, well, everything! Great pictorial on how this came together, and, if it wasn't 90 degrees outside, I'd be planning to make this! :)

From what I can tell, "Pozole Mix" is the same as "Random Pig Parts"? :)R

Thanks, Rich. Hehe... the camp DO doesn't get used nearly enough. It's kinda a top of a storage cabinet in the garage queen. I give it a pretty good seasoning because I know it might sit for 6 months at a time. I believe it was 96* here when I started the cook. The "Pozole Mix" appears to be chopped trotters, 1/2 a chopped shank, some fat and chunks of pork butt.

Robert, this is just and outstanding cook. One of your best. That looks absolutely delicious and will have to keep this in mind for my line up, if I ever can get cooking again. Loved the cooking process as this is right up my alley with my Santa Maria style attachment. Love being able to raise and lower the grate for quick temperature adjustments. Your Caliente, or I guess I should say Caliente's, seem to perform perfectly for this type cook. Thanks for the walk through. I recognize and admire the prep and effort you put into this cook.

Thanks, Cliff. What do mean by: "if I ever can get cooking again." ???? Doubt that you would give up cooking, you appear to enjoy it a lot.

Back