DNS server help

ARowe

would anyone be so kind enough to help me set up my DNS server,
ive registered my ddns with my router, but when i forward the ip address in the router software and check if the port is open it says its unable to access the port.
i know there is a way to do this through the webui but i cant figure it out.
cheers from a complete noooooob

Andy

Hi Andy,

What make and model of router do you have?

I'm assuming the DDNS setup is correct?

If you go here to verify your home IP address, does the same IP address appear here when you type in your DDNS name?

Hi Andy! Note that you should not change anything on the HeaterMeter's webui settings, all that should remain standard (which is to get an IP address and DNS information from DHCP). Everything should be done in your home router's configuration. If that's where we're at then start with what Steve posted, checking to make sure that your home IP address matches the DDNS IP address when it is looked up.

Then you just need to add the port forwarding on the router to the HeaterMeter. The process for this is incredibly diverse across different router firmwares so it would help to see a screenshot of the port forwarding page from your router to tell you what should go where.

thanks for the help guys,
my router is a tplink ac750 travel router linked to my phone via tethering, i bought this specifically for the hetermeter because i can plug a usb modem into it, my wife buys and sells houses so we move too much to keep a broadband connection.
if you search tplink port routing it brings up the same interface with the blue styling the port forwarding is called 'virtual server'. also i used the settings on the router that links up the dns to the account i created with no-ip.
the ip on the dns is 188.29.164.102 60
the ip on the lan is 188.29.164.102
so both ip match.
i will try get a printscreen of the router homescreen soon!!!
cheers
Andy

I think the "travel router linked to my phone via tethering" might be the problem. There's a very good chance your mobile provider is using carrier grade nat and/or simply blocking incoming requests. This is something you would need to verify.

Yeah the travel router is basically a mini router, just easy to attach to hotel WiFi for keeping private from there network etc. I just thought with the separate router just connecting off the tethering would work. Urgh oh well haha
Do you think if I used a USB simcard Internet dongle thats actually used for Internet rather than tethering from the mobile would work? My mother in law has one so could always try it out tomorow!
If the heatermeter ip shows;
192.168.0.100/24
When I connect the port forwarding would I need to put The Ip address in then the port as 24 or is there another port.
Il try it out with the USB dongle plugged into the router instead.
Cheers guys

Andy,

You'd need to either get confirmation from the mobile service provider that the USB internet stick is from or do your own tests. My gut feeling is that pretty much all mobile ISPs are blocking incoming ports.

You could try implementing the solution I discussed in this thread.

So my question is, if you have this travel router linked to your cell phone to get internet to the HM, wouldn't the cell phone be with you when you are away from home and therefore not providing internet to the HM?

Back