Orange Flames

HCintineo

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

I remember seeing somewhere that flames coming out of the burners should be blue not orange. I'm seeing orange flames coming out of mine. Is that supposed to happen or is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks!

LFP7UKH.jpg

First and foremost do a thorough cleaning of the burners inlcuding the spider guards (if any) if there aren't any remove the burners and clean them inside and out completely than check it and report back. Don't make adjustments to anything because if the grill was ok before and now not than adjusting anything will not fix it

I don't remember what they're called but there are these long skinny brushes with flexible wire holder. You can use one of them inside it. I don't recommend flushing with water not because it does harm but it's hard to get out. I use spray solvent type cleaners. Like spray brake cleaner (being a former mechanic you'll see I recommend a lot of automotive products LOL). I spray in liberally swish around and blow them out with compressed air. If you don't have compressed air they will dry very quickly and with NO residue so don't worry about that. Make sure also all the holes are clean and clear. IF the grill is LP make sure the regulator is good, if necessary replace it, same goes for NG though house based NG will never get beyond 7" WC whereas a bad LP regulator can cause FAR higher pressure than the called for 11" WC. Once everything is normal you should have normal flames. However be aware sometimes orange flames are normal under certain conditions. Humidity can change them. they can also change slightly with lid up or down (though not drastically)

That photo has a tiny shot of the burners. If you have spots with yellow or orange flames in limited areas, especially around joints such as the crossover tube or at the very beggining of the burner or in the middle where they have the slot on some burners, that is normal. Also, it is normal to have spots where the tips of the flames to be yellow or orange periodically, but they should not be yellow all the way across.

Back