Found a Kettle for my Kettle Pizza

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Been looking for a silver kettle for about six months that wasn’t withen 10 dollars of a new one or down in Phoenix where it’s 110*.
Finally found one right here in River City and for only $20….Mine!
It’s in pretty nice condition seeing it’s an L Code (1989) almost 30 years old.
Daisy wheels all work fine.
This is my first kettle find and I’m going to rely on the kettle experts to guide me here.
This is going to be my dedicated kettle pizza grill.
I have two issues.
The front leg falls out when you lift it to move and with a super-hot grill I won’t be moving it on purpose but accidents do happen. So what’s the best wayt to make sure that front leg stays put.
Second it’s a silver so it has the ash pan, is it possible to put a premium basket ash assembly on it. As some of you know we live in a high fire danger area and I want to provide as much fire prevention that I can.

28907140398_21ee7fe50e_z.jpg
[/url]100_3394 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

28907139168_04579ec79e_z.jpg
[/url]100_3395 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Now I get to return a little bit of information to the guy who helped so much with my gasser project.

Short answer is yes, “bucket system” ash catcher should take you five minutes!
The front leg issue might be that the tube has become misshapen, I’m pretty sure someone else might have the leg cure. There are a ton of ideas running through my head, most of which are probably not as good as one of the esteemed will doubtless provide in the next few hours if not minutes.

I’m watching for a $20 kettle for the same dedicated use, one of these days it will happen. You just proved it.
How are you feeling? I hope your recovery is quick!

Last edited:
Nice find Rich!
You can try wedging something like a round toothpick or two in with the leg, worked for me once.
But I'd wait for a possibly better solution from another member.

Rich,

I think the Premium ash catcher is $30 if purchased new. I'm not sure how cost effective that is.

My recently purchased copper kettle premium was about that much, and it came with a weber cover and a chimney starter. As for the loose leg, I've seen some use HVAC aluminum tape wrapped around the leg.

Rich,

I would chime in and agree that you can definitely upgrade to a removable ash pan. I did it once myself. The circle piece snaps into the leg sockets. The cheapest way to get the pan and circle holder might be yet another CL/OfferUp kettle, but you can certainly buy new.

I am not any expert on the leg problem. If some reshaping doesn't work or seem appropriate, you can always use the crude method I have and wrap a little bit of aluminum foil around the top of the leg before reinserting it. It has worked for me and if done carefully won't even be noticed.

Rich,

I think the Premium ash catcher is $30 if purchased new. I'm not sure how cost effective that is.

My recently purchased copper kettle premium was about that much, and it came with a weber cover and a chimney starter. As for the loose leg, I've seen some use HVAC aluminum tape wrapped around the leg.

Yes, I agree not the most cost effective but premium kettles are very rare up here and some are occasionally available down in Phoenix but the last few I saw were all in the $50-65 range, Plus it's a 200+ mile round trip. Factoring the gas and time I figured the total cost will be $50 for the grill and the ash catcher, that's a bargain.

Rich,

I would chime in and agree that you can definitely upgrade to a removable ash pan. I did it once myself. The circle piece snaps into the leg sockets. The cheapest way to get the pan and circle holder might be yet another CL/OfferUp kettle, but you can certainly buy new.

you're rightI am not any expert on the leg problem. If some reshaping doesn't work or seem appropriate, you can always use the crude method I have and wrap a little bit of aluminum foil around the top of the leg before reinserting it. It has worked for me and if done carefully won't even be noticed.
Part of that idea is I don't want another kettle and most are in Phoenix when you can find them. But you're right If I found one up here it might be more cost effective.

Last edited:
This kettle looks like the one with the three vents at the bottom. Can this be retrofitted with the premium ash catcher?

Grandson used a raised bucket under his 22" OTS, until I found him a non gas assist Performer, or whatever those are called.

Nope.
Re-read Rich's first post and he does say daisy wheels.

Yeah it does have three daisy wheels and it looks like the spacing is to wide for the premium bucket. I'll try the bucket off the performer to see if it is. Might try Bob's idea with the bucket that would be much better than that tray.

Well, raise my rent! (I love “Blazing Saddles”)
I missed the daisy wheel notation! Doggone it, had it been a one touch it would have been a snap, sorry, no pun intended!
I’ve used the bucket on a brick platform set up before and it works pretty well but, given the fire danger, I don’t know if I’d do it.
Maybe notching a bucket sitting as close as possible to the daisy wheels? Maybe Robert will have a genius idea, given his metalworking skill?

Fond memories:)
I had that same kettle (circa 1989) back in the day.
For a loose leg I use a self drilling/tapping screw. Clear hole the metal leg socket with a bit slightly larger then the screw. That resists draw back and the aluminum legs are thin so even a sheet metal screw will work.
The reason Weber put the daisy wheels up higher is so they don't clog with ash unlike a one touch which lets the ashes fall.
IIRC most of the ash stayed in the bottom of the charcoal bowl compared to a OT.

Tim

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll see if I can find something better than the ash disk. It won't be used that awful much and like Timothy said the daisy wheels are up high so not much ash comes out. I remember that from an old daisy wheel I had before.
I'll keep looking for a one touch to replace it, but at least I can make some pizzas until I find a one touch. And at this point I can't use it anyway because of the fire restrictions.

I've used metal muffler tape to wrap the legs so they don't wobble. You can get it at auto part stores or a rough equivalent at places like Home Depot.

Not sure if the daisy wheel vents will flow enough air to get those temps up.

You went looking for a cheap kettle and found a daisy wheel, score. Sounds like you need to resume the search for a cheap kettle.

I'll try it to see if it will work for what I want it to do. If not I'll put it back on CL and get my $20 back. It's really in nice shape but faded from black to grey and lots of scratches so it can't be made to look like new.
We got our first rain this year, not much but a start, a little more and they may lift the stage two restrictions and I'll be able to try it out.

Back