Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a Kettle for my Kettle Pizza

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Rich,
    The bucket works on a one touch, but it would take a pretty big bucket for the old style.

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Well, raise my rent! (I love “Blazing Saddles”)
    I missed the daisy wheel notation! Doggone it, had it been a one touch it would have been a snap, sorry, no pun intended!
    I’ve used the bucket on a brick platform set up before and it works pretty well but, given the fire danger, I don’t know if I’d do it.
    Maybe notching a bucket sitting as close as possible to the daisy wheels? Maybe Robert will have a genius idea, given his metalworking skill?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Fond memories
    I had that same kettle (circa 1989) back in the day.
    For a loose leg I use a self drilling/tapping screw. Clear hole the metal leg socket with a bit slightly larger then the screw. That resists draw back and the aluminum legs are thin so even a sheet metal screw will work.
    The reason Weber put the daisy wheels up higher is so they don't clog with ash unlike a one touch which lets the ashes fall.
    IIRC most of the ash stayed in the bottom of the charcoal bowl compared to a OT.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'll see if I can find something better than the ash disk. It won't be used that awful much and like Timothy said the daisy wheels are up high so not much ash comes out. I remember that from an old daisy wheel I had before.
    I'll keep looking for a one touch to replace it, but at least I can make some pizzas until I find a one touch. And at this point I can't use it anyway because of the fire restrictions.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

I've used metal muffler tape to wrap the legs so they don't wobble. You can get it at auto part stores or a rough equivalent at places like Home Depot.

Not sure if the daisy wheel vents will flow enough air to get those temps up.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

You went looking for a cheap kettle and found a daisy wheel, score. Sounds like you need to resume the search for a cheap kettle.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I'll try it to see if it will work for what I want it to do. If not I'll put it back on CL and get my $20 back. It's really in nice shape but faded from black to grey and lots of scratches so it can't be made to look like new.
    We got our first rain this year, not much but a start, a little more and they may lift the stage two restrictions and I'll be able to try it out.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12