Gasket kit

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I had bought a used 18.5" couple of years ago. Have had a lot of trouble keeping temps down. Once it gets going pretty much have to close all the vents and then still runs over 250. My old one was always rock solid. I finally broke down and bought a gasket kit which I am going to try to install this weekend. Guess going to try using some scotch bright to clean up. About to bring my old WSM back out of retirement. Got a lot of good years on it.

Scotchbrite might be too abrasive. The blue stuff might be ok, but the green is definitely too much. Some 0000 steel wool and simply green and some elbow grease might be the way to go.

I think most of the leaks are from the top. Seems warped and does not sit down very good. I bought it from a guy that just moved and probably gotted dropped. Also the vents don't seem to fit like they should like they had been bent and pushed back again. May have to replace them as well. They is really nothing wrong with my old one. I bought it from a guy from this forum many, many years ago. Just determined to get this one working right.

Well gasket install went fairly well. Let it dry for a day and hopefully can still get it back together. I think the bottom is going to be tight. I stretched the gasket a little as I put on. Will half to adjust door. I had drilled the knob out and just put a bolt and nut on it. Will have to go back and put some kind of spacer on it probably. I had a spare vent from years ago when dog ate two off smoker. Installed that on the worst one. The other two look good. I never use water and last time I did to try to keep temp down and forgot about it. Water pretty nasty and smelly. I normally use the clay pot bottom wrapped in foil. Easy cleanup.

Last edited:
Guess I sealed it to good. Been 2 hours and only up to 180. I have propped the door open some to try to get up. I did put 2 gallons of water in. I bought a 10 lb trimmed brisket and they way over trimmed. Thought water in pan might help.

Ended up pulling the probe in the meat and putting it in the smoker. It read 250 while other one read 180. Gauge in top read about 220. After 6 hours just wrapped in foil and put in oven at 235 to finish. Ended up being one of the most tender briskets I have made. Had just about all the fat trimmed off and cut between the flat and point with all the fat removed. Went back and checked probes in boiling water and one read 212 and other 210. Think I'll just bring my old smoker back out and turn this one into direct heat or something.

Back