Thread: Fuse Method in WSM 18.5

Fuse Method in WSM 18.5

Has anyone ever tried the fuse method in the 18.5 WSM? If so, what was the length of the cook and was the temperature as easy to control as the minion method?

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Most people do it solely for low heat cooks, like smoking sausage or bacon. The temperature control is probably slightly easier than minion but at the expense of the length of the cook. Now a ton of people use it for low and slow on the kettle.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I've used the fuse method in my 18.5" WSM several times; each time was for smoking bacon. My goal is to have it cruise at about 150* for a few hours and then bump it up to about 195* and get the bacon up to about 145* or 150*. Temp control is the same as every other minion cook that I've done. It always stays within about a 10* range until I bump it up.
    22" Weber Kettle; 18" Weber Kettle; Big Brother: 18" Weber Smokey Mountain ; and Brand New Baby Brother 14" Weber Smokey Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C. FL View Post
    I've used the fuse method in my 18.5" WSM several times; each time was for smoking bacon. My goal is to have it cruise at about 150* for a few hours and then bump it up to about 195* and get the bacon up to about 145* or 150*. Temp control is the same as every other minion cook that I've done. It always stays within about a 10* range until I bump it up.
    My experience is about the same - I've just done it a few times for jerky. I aimed for 165F and it'd hold for a few hours fairly reliably - I have graphs somewhere.

I've found that it requires more babysitting, and sometimes the whole thing ends up lit, so the amount of fuel available is especially important.
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

This is interesting...I use a different configuration for my coals than Clint does. I'll embed a pic, but what I do is make a big "G" with the charcoal. It's two briquettes high with wood on top. Then, when I want to bump the temp up, I just move the remaining unused coals to the part that's currently burning. It's interesting to see everyone's techniques...so many ways to achieve the same result!

22" Weber Kettle; 18" Weber Kettle; Big Brother: 18" Weber Smokey Mountain ; and Brand New Baby Brother 14" Weber Smokey Mountain

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Here's one I did in my 22.5. I bump up the temp by having more briquettes in the snake. I should have made this a row or 2 longer. I was smoking some andouille sausage.

22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    This is interesting, I have never used the snake or fuse method but, I like the concept.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I also use it with my 18.5 mostly when smoking bacon. I've also used a three row snake in my 22 kettle to smoke ribs.
    [IMG]100_2333 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Pro
    I've used the snake approach a few times. I don't remember what I was cooking but there was once I wanted very low temps for the first couple hours and then wanted somewhat higher temps for the rest of the cook. I did a single line of briquettes from the center to outer wall and then ran briquettes in both directions from there around the perimeter. It worked almost perfectly.