Stuffing the 14.5"?

Kristof Jozsa

TVWBB Fan
A question aimed to the owners of the smallest WSM (cc @Anne): did you ever have a problem with overloading the smoker with meat? A few days ago we had a company party where the main players were two Weber gassers.. still I decided to cook some appetizers for that large number of people, so I managed to load almost 7 pounds of St.Louis cut to the cooker. I used two Brinkmann rib racks which have 4 "slots" each. The 7 pounds of ribs were two full errr.. "tables" of ribs, each cut in half, loaded into 2-2 slots of the rib holders. At the end, I had 2 ribs at the bottom level, 2 ribs at the top level, slightly diagonally, as layed out by the rib racks, with some space between them. Space at the top level was still so crowded that I could only carefully put back the lid to the smoker.

My experience was slightly worrying for the first 3-4 hours.. the smoker could hardly keep up temp at all, with all the vents fully opened! I suspect the root of the problem was that the two huge racks at the top level kind of blocked airflow from the top vent. The cook still went well and the results were beautiful and very tasty, but honestly, I was much worried how to keep the temperature up in the 220-250F range, having no more vents to open :)

Did you have such an experience? Is there any tricks to try in the next similar situation, apart of avoiding stuffing the little guy that much with meat?

Fully loading a WSM will tend to hold the temp down. There are two ways to increase air flow. Crack the door or put a wooden dowel under the lid. Both will increase air flow.

Frankly, I have never loaded mine that full.
In fact, I have not yet used the bottom grid.

I got to remember this post, although for a different reason...
Maybe when it gets to October, it's a way to keep the temperature down ;)

Thanks Lew, very useful! It's nice to know that I have some backup plans if things go worse next time!

Anne, fabulous idea :)

Yes, I like the “overload for temperature control” concept!
I will remember that I just need to do more when it’s “Africa hot” around here in July.
Looking at 90 and humid around here for this weekend.

Back