Whirly Beef

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I really like cooking on a rotisserie. I have a Showtime Jr. Rotisserie from the master of informercials ("Set it and FORGET it!"). It was a bridal shower present. We thought the aunt who gave it to my wife was being a smart alleck, but she swore by it. Over 15 years and it's still going strong. We've done a lot of chicken and many roasts in it over the years. It's been sidelined since I got my Weber Rotisserie because you can't get better flavor out of anything.

A month or so ago, I did a roast on the Weber Rotisserie. For the last couple of weeks, the misses has been asking for another one. So, this weekend, we picked up an Eye Round. I cooked it on Sunday.

I stabbed it violently and then jammed large slices of garlic clove into the holes that I made. Then, I rubbed it with olive oil and covered it with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder (because the only thing better than garlic is MORE GARLIC!!). Here it is sitting on the spit waiting to get cooked.

iL4HJf1l.jpg

I loaded up an almost full chimney of KBB and, once ready, set up indirect with coals on both sides and put a couple of hunks of oak on the fire. Show time!

usbhHg6l.jpg

You can see a little flame on the near side. There apparently was a little grease that needed to burn off. Oops..

(Let's see if this works..video...the flames look higher than they really were)

DkwpiyTl.mp4

At 30 minutes, I added more coals.

I went and checked the temp at 45 minutes and found a perfect 125* almost entirely throughout the meat. So, I pulled it off.

hU02NEQl.jpg

The last time I did one, I let it sit in the fridge for a day to get it good and cold for slicing. I did the same thing this time. Last night, I broke out the slicer and went to work.

G8km1AMl.jpg

We made sandwiches for our dinner, but I forgot to take pictures. My wife used a horseradish sauce, so she unknowingly made a modified version of Chris' Baltimore Pit Beef. I didn't particularly care for the horseradish sauce she used, so I went with bleu cheese. I forgot pictures, but I remembered when I went for seconds (slices only) to get a pic of the slices. This turned out sooooo good. The best part? Lots of leftovers for this week!!

KweLiqUl.jpg

Hope y'all are having a good week!!!

Last edited:
That looks great Dan, spinning a roast is the best way to cook them. I've got a roti for my gen 2000 but not for the kettle. Got to fix that.

Great looking piece of "violently stabbed" beef Chris. I bet those sammies were good.

Looks good!

I assume one can shave any leftovers for quick browning in a skillet for loading a tortilla?

Looks good!

I assume one can shave any leftovers for quick browning in a skillet for loading a tortilla?

I would imagine that you could do that. My personal preference for roast beef is to either make a sandwich or just grab a couple of slices and eat them. More often than not, it's usually me grabbing a few slices as the misses says "why don't you make a sandwich?" and I reply "Too much work!" and scarf down 3 or four pieces as a snack. :cool:

Thanks everybody!!! I had some more for today's lunch. Just brought a ziploc baggie with a few slices and got some fries from the food truck. It was sooooo good!!

Back