Genesis fail of the day

Mike_D

TVWBB Member
This was supposed to be a happy post as I was almost done with disassembly, but unfortunately this happened - major props if you identify the grill :D (hint - yes the photo shows only broken glass)

27875706887_b4d964c0ec_z.jpg
[/url]Broken Glass :( by Michael, on Flickr[/IMG]

Damn mike, I don't mind playing guessing games, but I think that trashing a perfectly good grill is going too far.

I seem to remember hearing about a Weber grill with a glass front on it. I suppose that is what you "HAD".

Hahahaha Well, like I said, it started off well, but looks can be deceiving. This thing turned out to be a rust bucket, too bad, because I know that the 5000 series are hard to come by. It's hard when everything is rusted to pieces. Sometimes you can only do so much. Even the stainless flavorizer bars are full of rust. Good news is that now I have extra parts for the donor grill I'm in search of :D

42696077832_e4fabe28bf_z.jpg
[/url]Weber Genesis 5000 by Michael, on Flickr[/IMG]

42027934594_a3a23a65cc_z.jpg
[/url]Weber Genesis 5000 by Michael, on Flickr[/IMG]

Weber Genesis 5000 by Michael, on Flickr

Mike,
I don't think I ever saw a Weber that rusty.

Sorry about the glass though, that's what makes the 5000 series so unique. I am always worried the kids will send a Dek Hockey ball through mine so I have to "hide" it away in a corner.

Jeff

Wow that thing IS a mess. Too bad that would have been such a nice project but sometimes ya gotta walk away

Yah, those swing tables with hardware are a great find in themselves. While it is going to be a parts grill, it looks like you scored well in that category.

Mike,
I don't think I ever saw a Weber that rusty.

Jeff

Jeff, it was an SF Bay Area find. San Jose area the damp conditions and salt air just did a number on the grill, plus I don't think it was ever covered or brought inside its whole life.

Sill, I'm not wholly disappointed with the find. I think the remaining two glass doors might find themselves on a well known auction site very soon. Most of the grill will find itself in the trash, but it did come with both a NG and LP manifold and some other usable parts. By the way, that glass door broke when I was trying to (carefully, mind you) removed the hinge because the screw holding it on had you guessed it, rusted off. Do you think I can still call it a 5000 if I transfer the parts to a new chassis? Anyway, I'll post some resto pics when I get the chance.

If that grill looked like that because it was in SF area what do your cars look like?! They must be worse than here in the actual rust belt

Mike,
I thought we has it bad regarding rust up here in Massachusetts but that salt air is a killer.

I'd say it would still be a 5000 no matter what parts are transplanted into it or from it so keep the faith alive. Maybe you can use both doors on a 1000 series Genesis and call it a 2500 :)

Your post got me nervous as my doors are also loose on mine as a couple plastic bushings are missing and well as a rusted lower support bar so I gave it some love with some duct tape-
H4GStqk.jpg

I have some time off in a couple weeks as my Wife and Daughter are leaving the Country for a week so I hope to finally get started on the restore.

Jeff

Larry,
The hinges used on the 5000 as similar to the Small Non-Bore Inset Glass Door Hinges you see listed everywhere including HD & Lowes but, they are taller and the "pintel" is longer.

I found a source after looking that is very close to the original and purchased several. I am just waiting to start the restoration but putting them on.

Jeff

Mike,
I thought we has it bad regarding rust up here in Massachusetts but that salt air is a killer.

I'd say it would still be a 5000 no matter what parts are transplanted into it or from it so keep the faith alive. Maybe you can use both doors on a 1000 series Genesis and call it a 2500 :)

Your post got me nervous as my doors are also loose on mine as a couple plastic bushings are missing and well as a rusted lower support bar so I gave it some love with some duct tape-
H4GStqk.jpg

I have some time off in a couple weeks as my Wife and Daughter are leaving the Country for a week so I hope to finally get started on the restore.

Jeff

Jeff,

That is one really cool grill. I wish you the VERY BEST in restoring it. Can't be all that many of those still around. Yours even has the older Weber whitewall wheels:D!

Jeff, way to protect those doors! I like it, no way are those things falling out any time soon. Looks like you have quite the project on your hands with that restore. If you remember where you got the replacement hardware for the doors do you mind sharing the link? I feel lucky I was able to back out the screws on 2 of the 3 doors, but the hardware is pretty much rusted to bits and is beyond salvageable, as you can imagine. Many thanks,

Mike

Reminds me of Red Green. Not sure if any of you know who that is but it's a Canadian TV show of a backwoods guy who uses duct tape for about everything. Famous quote "If the women don't find you handsome be sure they find you handy" and another "Keep your stick on the ice"
You can typically see him on American Public Television

Jeff, way to protect those doors! I like it, no way are those things falling out any time soon. Looks like you have quite the project on your hands with that restore. If you remember where you got the replacement hardware for the doors do you mind sharing the link? I feel lucky I was able to back out the screws on 2 of the 3 doors, but the hardware is pretty much rusted to bits and is beyond salvageable, as you can imagine. Many thanks,

Mike

Mike,
I sent you a PM with those hinge details.

Jeff

Back