Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis fail of the day

I'm pretty sure you can buy those hinges and bushings at places like Home Depot and the like

Larry,
    The hinges used on the 5000 as similar to the Small Non-Bore Inset Glass Door Hinges you see listed everywhere including HD & Lowes but, they are taller and the "pintel" is longer.

I found a source after looking that is very close to the original and purchased several. I am just waiting to start the restoration but putting them on.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff MA View Post
    Mike,
    I thought we has it bad regarding rust up here in Massachusetts but that salt air is a killer.

I'd say it would still be a 5000 no matter what parts are transplanted into it or from it so keep the faith alive. Maybe you can use both doors on a 1000 series Genesis and call it a 2500

Your post got me nervous as my doors are also loose on mine as a couple plastic bushings are missing and well as a rusted lower support bar so I gave it some love with some duct tape-

I have some time off in a couple weeks as my Wife and Daughter are leaving the Country for a week so I hope to finally get started on the restore.

Jeff
    Jeff,

That is one really cool grill. I wish you the VERY BEST in restoring it. Can't be all that many of those still around. Yours even has the older Weber whitewall wheels!
    Genesis Platinum Silver C Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s Black '74 18, SJ. Projects: Skyline & 2 many others!

Well good you found them. Good luck

TVWBB Member
    Jeff, way to protect those doors! I like it, no way are those things falling out any time soon. Looks like you have quite the project on your hands with that restore. If you remember where you got the replacement hardware for the doors do you mind sharing the link? I feel lucky I was able to back out the screws on 2 of the 3 doors, but the hardware is pretty much rusted to bits and is beyond salvageable, as you can imagine. Many thanks,

Mike
    Q1200 Q320 Genesis 5000

Reminds me of Red Green. Not sure if any of you know who that is but it's a Canadian TV show of a backwoods guy who uses duct tape for about everything. Famous quote "If the women don't find you handsome be sure they find you handy" and another "Keep your stick on the ice"
    You can typically see him on American Public Television

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Jeff, way to protect those doors! I like it, no way are those things falling out any time soon. Looks like you have quite the project on your hands with that restore. If you remember where you got the replacement hardware for the doors do you mind sharing the link? I feel lucky I was able to back out the screws on 2 of the 3 doors, but the hardware is pretty much rusted to bits and is beyond salvageable, as you can imagine. Many thanks,

Mike
    Mike,
    I sent you a PM with those hinge details.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12