Which gasser should I get?

Michael N

TVWBB Fan
I know this is very subjective, but I’d love for some opinions. I’ve got a performer and a WSM. I was planning on finally taking the plunge on a gasser and would like some practical advice from people who know/care about grills.

I’m looking for a way to grill more and planned on a 3 burner. My current contenders are....
Spirit II 310
Genesis II 310 (likely the se-330)
Genesis LX 340

I believe I want the stainless grill grate for ease and longevity.
Coming from charcoal I’m concerned about sear and maybe using a smoke wood box. I don’t mind accessorizing to get what I need as long as it’s cost effective vs the upgrade.

Anyone have an opinion to share?

A lot of people on this part of the forum will advocate for an older 1000 to 3000 genesis. I have an old Genesis 2000 (it was a 3000, but I removed the side burner and replaced it with a table, as I had not once ever used the side burner). However, if you are looking for a newer grill, then this option is not for you.

The things I like about my 2000 are that:

1. I have two sets of burners, one set is "new" and the other set came with the grill which I bought for $25. I'll have burners for probably another 10 years or more before I have to replace them.

2. I like to rotisserie cook now, and the east west burner configuration is the best for rotisserie cooking.

3. Parts are readily available for these grills, and there are aftermarket purveyors of better than original parts, like RCplanebuyer's grates and flavorizer bars.

4. Rehabbing an old grill, if you don't mind the work, gives you a really personal connection to the grill. You also learn everything there is to know about the operation and it's really an elegant, simple, well-made machine.

So if you'd rather spend let's say 200 bucks to maybe 300 bucks all in, you can have an amazing vintage grill that in my opinion is far superior in every way to the new grills that now sell for a thousand more than that.

Just an opinion.

Slainte!

Tim

I pretty much agree with THyde. I would pay less than half the money for a grill that in my opinion would be a better overall grill. The Genesis Silver B's and Genesis 1000's are great grills. The E/W burner configuration is a big reason why. If you have any plans to use a rotisserie, then the older grills are definitely your best option. Every thing else that Thyde states, I agree with as well.

But, if I had to choose one on your list, I would go with the Genesis II. Although, I am not real familiar with any on your list.

Of the options listed, personally I'd lean toward the Genesis II e310. I have one of the last generation, we use it heavily and it has been a very versatile and enjoyable grilling machine. The Spirit line tends to have less options for upgrades like stainless grates and flavor bars, generally cheaper components and consequently lower resale value if/when you go to sell.

The LX 340 looks like a really nice grill and the features are nice... but if price is a significant consideration then the E310 will do basically the same job at a much lower price.

Considering what you're looking for It's really too bad the last generation Genesis EP/S 330 was discontinued without a replacement at that price point - it was very much a sweet spot in the lineup, similar features to the LX 340 but pricewise only slightly more than an E310.

Thanks for the advice! I’m leaning towards the genesis II se-310. I don’t think I want to refurbish a grill (but I like the concept). The LX seems like a waste of cash unless there is a really good reason for it.

I have the Genesis II E-310 and like it so far. If you're not in a hurry to get one, Walmart usually starts clearing their grill out in mid to late July. I was able to get the grill for $169. They were discounting the II E-310 only though. At first I got it for $349 then they lowered it to $169 so I had them adjust the price. Here's more info if you're interested....

https://slickdeals.net/f/10409604-g...thread-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

I'm waiting on RCplanebuyer to make the SS grates and bars for the grill so I can upgrade those parts. As of now he doesn't plan to make them anytime soon as they are not in demand yet.

Thanks for the advice! I’m leaning towards the genesis II se-310. I don’t think I want to refurbish a grill (but I like the concept). The LX seems like a waste of cash unless there is a really good reason for it.

I think that is a sound choice if we can't entice you to restore a classic Made in USA Weber:eek:. The LX burners supposedly have a higher output "sear" setting and you get a slightly higher hood and better side shelves. On the other hand you pay a lot, and you have to put up with another closed-in cart, disaster waiting to happen. If I had the money and need for a new Weber, my dream would be to buy the LX and remove the cabinetry.

I agree with Tim and Bruce. I did exactly what Tim did I restored a 3000 into a 2000. I also have a E320 with the E/W burners in NG which we use all the time. Restoring a grill isn't hard but it's dirty work and time consuming.
As far as the newer Weber's go I haven't a clue. Good luck with your choice.

I think the SE310 is a nice setup, 3 burners is both efficient for average size family meals and all you need to have flexibility for indirect cooks like ribs and pulled pork. The stainless grates and flavor bars are worth the small premium they charge IMO, they clean up easy and are serviceable for a long time. Some complain about the grates being spaced too far and letting food fall through, something to look into. I personally haven't seen it be an issue on our last generation genesis ep310 and ep330 grills.

I just last night had an opportunity to TRULY appreciate the nice tight spacing on my RCP grates. Was making burgers for the gang. I like to make grilled Vidalia onions for them. So I slice the onions and put a thin wood skewer through all the "rings" to hold them together. Drizzle with EVOO and salt/pepper mix. While flipping them one slipped off the spatula and had I been using Weber's skinny little wide open grates the whole thing would have been in the bottom. Same thing the other day when grilling polenta (if you've never tried it you should). I slipped on a couple and would have lost them.
But, I agree even the skinny Weber stuff on the Genesis is FAR better in Stainless from an ease of maintenance standpoint

You might want to consider the 400-series Genesis 2. I just purchased one. The special edition model with stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates. 900 bucks free shipping no tax.

I did consider the se310. Very nice Grill. Came really close to buying that one. But I think what it really came down to was my desire to have more grilling surface than less... The 400 series has so much real estate for indirect Cooks... A 19 x 34 grid.

I looked at the Spirit line and felt not as well built as the Genesis 2 line of grills. As for the LX series, I agree with you that I think it's overpriced considering the E-Series will work just as well. Although the LX series grills do you have the high plus option on each burner. This is essentially outputs 10% more heat than the S Series. I think weber is pushing that as their "sear station Replacement."

-T

Back