Thread: Continuously Variable vs. Low Medium High

Continuously Variable vs. Low Medium High

I just re greased my valves. How do you know if you have “continuously variable” vs. three position valves?

The valves have 3 holes on the cone part, but when I was putting the grill back together I was looking at the flames and they do seem to adjust between the different settings.

How can you tell what type you have?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

PS: freshly re-lubricated valves are GREAT!!

TVWBB Super Fan
    I assume its a 1000 by your pic those are fixed not variable yes they have 3 holes different diameters and yes i have done two sets for .99 probably could do 20 sets but makes a big difference.
    Last edited by Brian B Atlanta; 06-10-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Yes, it's a Genesis 3000 that I converted to a natural gas 2000. So why do the flames appear to change in size between the settings? For example, if I go from "High" to between "High" and "Medium" it appears the flames lower by about half. I don't get it!

I have a genesis 1000 too and I always thought the valves were continuously adjustable? They seem to be even though there are clear high, medium, and low markings. I could be wrong though.

I think they are variable, just have the markings so you know where the adjustment is at. I have a Genny 1000 and I know it is variable. I can tweek my grill by just a few degrees by moving the knobs. When doing long BBQ's and slow cooks, this is critical. I can adjust my grill to any temp between about 200 and 600 and have it stay within a +/- ten degree window. I measure this with my Smoke remote thermometer which is very accurate.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

So the Low Medium High is just settings on the valves? Like, "seating" in the spots for those settings?

I'm now really curious. I think you can adjust between settings too, but I am eagerly anticipating some expert input (read: LMichaels)

Slainte!

Tim

There were no photos BUT if your cone has 3 "openings" and distinct "click" spots it's a fixed orifice. The variable valve cones have "slots" or "grooves" rather than "holes" and have no distinct "click" spot other than fully "off" as for varying in between holes yes of course it will as if the orifice moves off center it's just like if you put your finger over the end of the water hose. You change the flow due to the "hole" or the opening being obstructed

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    There were no photos BUT if your cone has 3 "openings" and distinct "click" spots it's a fixed orifice. The variable valve cones have "slots" or "grooves" rather than "holes" and have no distinct "click" spot other than fully "off" as for varying in between holes yes of course it will as if the orifice moves off center it's just like if you put your finger over the end of the water hose. You change the flow due to the "hole" or the opening being obstructed
    This makes perfect sense. Thank you!