Recommendations for “reasonable” kitchen multi timers

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’ve had three Maverick multi timers, the first lasted me almost ten years, the second fell in the sink and died though my own fault, the third I’ve used for 16 months and is getting “wonky”, to be kind.
I like the size and the magnetic “stick to the fridge” quality, but, drat it, this one has not holding up worth siccem!
Is there one out there for under twenty bucks that will hold up? I am not one who abuses my equipment, I actually like being able to say some of my “chattels” are pretty much old and well used with care and respect. Knives, instruments, tools, grills, pans etc. are rarely disposed of for reason of neglect.
I change batteries with more care and precision than most on anything digital due to my training under a German watchmaker. I’m very careful but, the buttons are getting cranky, alarm is actually unreliable sometimes.
Let me know if any of you folks have one that will give me more than a year of not particularly hard use.
Thanks in advance!

How many timers do you want? Do you want just a base unit, or do you want the ability for remote access?

How many timers do you want? Do you want just a base unit, or do you want the ability for remote access?
I think he said multi timer, which implies (to my mind anyways) one timer UNIT that has the ability to set different timer settings.

Like this:
ihwx.62E41CAA-4DCB-4E16-BBBE-7A37FC9D625E.180.180.jpg

https://www.thomassci.com/scientific-supplies/Multi-Timer

Or this one called The Timestack
TimeStack_thumbnail.jpg

https://www.thermoworks.com/Timers?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB
From Timothy's post above.

Right Tim?

Last edited:
Len, the bottom one is the Time *STACK*. The Time Stick is a different gizmo, worn around your neck. Both highly useful. The TimeStick retails for $21, might be what Mr. Lewis is looking for. The Time Stack... different beastie. That's more of an industrial timer. 4 direct programmable timers, but quite a bit more expensive.

I should point out that I have a TimeStack (actually, I have 2.... haven't had to break the 2nd out yet,) and it's the best kitchen timer I've used yet. I've had 3 timers running simultaneously on a semi-regular basis. It's at least splash resistant, easy to read, use and set. It's just a set of timers, though. I use it preferentially to the timers on my stove and my microwave (mounted above the stove) as well as the ancient Polders and the ChefAlarm I also have.

at ~$11.00, why not.

Nifty! I just now came within a cat's whisker of proceeding to checkout but then wondered about the alarm loudness. Our dog runs to the next county on a couple of my BBQ alarms. How would you rate its loudness compared to... well, I don't exactly know what to compare it to.

Nifty! I just now came within a cat's whisker of proceeding to checkout but then wondered about the alarm loudness. Our dog runs to the next county on a couple of my BBQ alarms. How would you rate its loudness compared to... well, I don't exactly know what to compare it to.

Pretty close to the same loudness as a microwave timer, if you miss it (go outside or something) it'll continue to beep while counting up so you know how long it's been going off.

I'd definitely trade at least one of mine for the time stack though, this is nothing fancy.

Thanks for that, Clint! It may be nothing fancy but it solves a frequent issue where our oven and its timer is running and we have the countertop oven running at the same time. If I buy the TimeStack it would always be in the basement because I grill and smoke at the walkout area. This is so cheap and simple that it will easily stay on the fridge at all times. How that makes sense I don't quite know but I'm sold.

Call me dumb, but I can't figure out any need for multiple timers unless one has several grills / ovens / smokers going on at the same time.

I'd go nuts trying to keep up with it all. :eek:

unless one has several grills / ovens / smokers going on at the same time.

Just two of the devices you noted is enough for me to use a multi timer, or if I'm preparing more than one item on a single grill or appliance. When I have dinner duty I'm usually expected to serve more than one item. I use a multi timer quite regularly. Heck; it's not uncommon for me to use two timers when I grill steaks. I track total time and rotate/flip time (but that might be due to me not being an experienced chef). Last week's example: I had potatoes, fish, and shrimp in the oven at the same time plus dinner rolls in the countertop oven; each required different cook times. I'd go nuts without one :)

Just two of the devices you noted is enough for me to use a multi timer, or if I'm preparing more than one item on a single grill or appliance. When I have dinner duty I'm usually expected to serve more than one item. I use a multi timer quite regularly. Heck; it's not uncommon for me to use two timers when I grill steaks. I track total time and rotate/flip time (but that might be due to me not being an experienced chef). Last week's example: I had potatoes, fish, and shrimp in the oven at the same time plus dinner rolls in the countertop oven; each required different cook times. I'd go nuts without one :)

I use timers a lot too, usually just one but sometimes 2 or 3. For my burgers/steaks/grilled cheese/eggs etc I'll set the timer for the flip (1-4 minutes usually), I run a RO/DI filter in the basement that runs for 99 minutes to make 5 gallons of water & if I forget about it my basement floods. I'll even set it for things like when I'm doing laundry, or when I call a number & it's busy (call back in 10-45 minutes). Usually just 1, and I usually use my phone for the 2nd choice, but I have on the fridge, and another velcro'd to the wall in my shop.

The nice thing about the little taylor is that I wasn't grilling the slaw, that's just the time I started the salt-wilt, so it's also a notepad you can set where you're passing by regularly so you could write a reminder that might say something like "put chicken on roti @ 10:30", but the "whiteboard" is a lil small.

Call me dumb, but I can't figure out any need for multiple timers unless one has several grills / ovens / smokers going on at the same time.

I have a ThermoWorks TimeStick Trio. I mostly use the multi-timer aspect at holidays when I've got several dishes going at the same time. For the grill/smoker I'm usually doing just one thing at a time so there's no need for multiple timers. I bought this in the first place because I got it at a very good open box price.

As to a recommendation, the TimeStick Trio is okay but, in all honesty, I find the buttons hard to press and I'm not thrilled about wearing it around my neck. It does have magnets on the back so you can stick it to something with iron in it. So I like the size and the functionality but the stiff buttons make it hard to work. On the plus side, the flat surface buttons make it easy to keep clean.

I also have the Extra Big and Loud Timer. I love this timer. Big buttons that are easy to press. Large display. Adjustable volume that can be set very loud. About my only minor complaint is the easel stand seems a bit on the flimsy side. It hasn't broken but I feel I always need to be very careful with it. There are magnets on the back that allow this timer to readily attach to the refrigerator, which is its normal position. If I'm grilling this is my go-to timer. As I write this ThermoWorks has it on sale.

The TimeStack looks to be the multi-timer version of the EB&L Timer. As such, I suspect it would be an excellent choice for a counter-top multi-timer. They've also eliminated my one issue with the EB&L Timer by widening the base, making the easel stand unnecessary.

I've purchased a number of ThermoWorks products and have been pleased with the quality of all of them. They seem to be a very good company. I would caution anyone contemplating a purchase to always buy direct from the factory. There are a number of disreputable merchants selling ThermoWorks products at ridiculously high prices. This is one case where buying direct will almost always get you the best price.

I don’t put everything in or on at the same time, it allows lots for us mere mortals who can’t control extraction time.

The magnetic, small, nature of the three “zone” maverick which had worked so well for the first one was what was important to me, I have almost no counterspace. Clint might have the closest one for my needs. Thanks folks, I will go timer shopping after I clean gutters this week!
I might just bite the bullet and order it though, depending on weather.

Last edited:
I guess my cooks are never complicated enough to need a timer for much of anything.
There's an app on my cellphone for the few times I do.

Note, after typing this I checked and multi timer apps are available.
Not sure if this is what anyone posting is interested in using.

Note, after typing this I checked and multi timer apps are available.

That is certainly a valid point. In my case, I use my smartphone all day for business and when I get home I almost always place it on my desk and opt against having it with me. And when I'm grilling or smoking my hands aren't always clean and I prefer not dirtying the phone.

Back