Skyline getting closer...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Regular job and rainy weather keep slowing me down, but I am getting stuff ready to make some real progress tomorrow on my Skyline dream grill.

I am using two replacement stainless frame tubes because the originals that came with this frame were too far gone. I am hoping these parts will extend the life of my rehab:

2tbwk.jpg

33uv7nn.jpg

This grill is sort of a Frankenstein creation using various parts from different grills. I wanted to use a Silver control panel until I found out that the holes are different then the 1000 series. I was too committed to the deep box, so this is the best control panel I could find in my collection. I did a small amount of touch up black paint on a few edges and one corner:

2ytp7rt.jpg

I have been holding a set of black knobs and a black igniter switch cover for this grill. They are used and spent too long in the Florida sun. I did what I could to rejuvenate them. I considered painting but am concerned about wear. Even so, I had to buy a new knob for the side burner and they only come in gray, so I will be painting that one. I figure it will see much less use. It will also give me a chance to see how painting works:

2rdkvnt.jpg

Larry,

Speaking of the side burner, I followed your recommendation for swapping out the plug on the new manifold with a quick release adapter from another manifold. As you suggested, I used the PTFE thread sealant. It all went fine, but I am uncertain about how tight to keep turning the adapter. You can see in the photo that it is already in very far - as far as it was in the old manifold- but it still can be turned. It turns tightly but it does keep turning. Should I stop or should I keep tightening until it won’t turn anymore?

P.s. your mailbox is full:(.

2iw0fia.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered “back to black” trim conditioner for your knobs? It’s made for car trim but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on knobs.

Have you considered “back to black” trim conditioner for your knobs? It’s made for car trim but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on knobs.

Well, I already used Mother’s Back to Black trim cleaner AND the Meguiars Ultimate Black trim restorer:(. That will give you an idea of how bad they were when I started! These knobs are not very common. I found one source for a new set but it was going to be very pricey so I decided to go with trying to make these look as good as I can. There is a product now owned by Rustoleum - Wipe New I believe - that works the best. It is a real pain to handle and stores very poorly. I may still try a follow up with it.

Jon, on my knobs for the 1000 even after soaking in a bleach solution they would not come totally clean and they were a bit dull. So I did paint them and was happy with the results. This is one of those paints either get multiple coats on in an hour or wait 7 days or longer. I think I did 3 coats about 15 minutes apart. This paint is thick so you need to keep back a bit when spraying but as the can says it bonds to plastic. I am pretty sure they sell it in black just never looked for it.

I was going to clear coat after but you needed to wait at least 7 days and just never got around to it. I would have waited 10 days anyway to be safe.

JapqZ01.jpg
dCEtTeW.jpg

It looks like that stuff worked pretty well. But time will be the real factor. How long since you painted those Brian and how much use have they seen?
Unless you are going for a color of knob that isn't typically available, it might be easier to look for a donor grill to cannibalize some knobs from.

Bruce, they were painted in December I believe. The color is a close match to the original or certainly close enough for me did all the knobs and the rocker switch for the igniter so everything matches. We use our grill maybe once a week but not really concerned that paint is for plastic also, I was doing some cleaning today so pulled them off and just wiped them off with a damp cloth. You could put a clear coat on it if you were that concerned I would just wait ten days before doing it and actually I think the recommend doing that just never bothered.

As I said I had let them soak in a bleach/water solution over night then rinsed them down so they were pretty good to paint no grease worries. If the color wears with time can just hit them again anyway but they really look good.

Hey Brian, those came out really nice. I do agree that sometimes used knobs are pretty much impossible to clean back to a high restoration standard. A can of that paint (and some time) looks like it would go a long ways to giving these a fresh start. I will keep that stone gray in mind.

For my Skyline grill, the black knobs are really important to me. They were only used on some of the last Genesis Silver and Spirit grills in 04-05. Almost impossible to find now, so painting is an important option. I think if you use quality paint like you have and especially if you are repainting the same color that you should get a decent amount of service out of these.

Hey Brian, those came out really nice. I do agree that sometimes used knobs are pretty much impossible to clean back to a high restoration standard. A can of that paint (and some time) looks like it would go a long ways to giving these a fresh start. I will keep that stone gray in mind.

For my Skyline grill, the black knobs are really important to me. They were only used on some of the last Genesis Silver and Spirit grills in 04-05. Almost impossible to find now, so painting is an important option. I think if you use quality paint like you have and especially if you are repainting the same color that you should get a decent amount of service out of these.

Jon, I bought a new black knob for a 2005 Silver B directly from Weber last year and it was only $5. They now offer free shipping for orders $50 and above, and $7 flat rate shipping if your total falls below $50.

P/N 87680.

The catch is that you have to <gasp> call them to place the order. You have to speak to a live person in the USA and everything.

Last edited:
JKim,
Thanks very much for the helpful tip. I didn’t think Weber still carried the black ones. I had purchased an end handle/tool holder from Weber for a Silver (actually to use on my Skyline) and the phone rep I talked with left me with little confidence they could get that in black. They did send me a black one, but I figured it was hopeless on the knobs. I will check it out. A better price than Amazon which is the only source I have found up until now that clearly shows the knobs as being black.

Back