Another nice Genesis 1000 redhead restoration

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I received an email from someone named Lori that has completed a Genesis 1000 redhead restoration using info from all of you in this forum! I think she did a great job!

"I’m really glad I stumbled on your website. I appreciate all the time you spend helping to get these awesome grills up and working again. It’s really not hard at all once you know what to do, just time consuming."

Keep up the good work, folks!

One tidbit I'll share about her emblem restoration. She wrote me asking about emblem removal because she couldn't get it off. Here's what she did:

"I didn’t end up getting the emblem off. I tried for quite a while and then realized it just wasn’t worth all the energy and frustration. So I got my blue painters tape and taped around it and then I taped thin cardboard on all sides of the emblem just a fraction away from the blue tape so the spray paint could get to the outside edges of the emblem. I protected the rest of the cover with newspaper in case the wind blew as I was spraying. I gave it a light mist and when it was dry I sanded the top of the emblem with the cardboard still in place to avoid scratching the cover. It worked great and was much easier than fussing with those clips."

Best,
Chris

Ju9Db8k.jpg

sU9wISy.jpg

HGywaRh.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful job!!

Can you ask her about the wood selection and stain color? They are PERFECT and I need them on my 2000!

This looks gorgeous. Very nice job. I would also be interested in the wood and stain selection since I want to build a similar one.

Maybe she was not aware of the stainless option?
Stainless is beautiful, too, but these wooden parts were originally stained, so staining is a nod to the "old school" look.

Lori writes, "The wood slats and handle are original to the grill. I individually sanded the finish off each slat with my mouse sander. I did all sides (not the bottom since it was in OK shape and wouldn’t show anyway). Once everything was smooth I worked on the few black stained spots. I started with a sprayer of white vinegar and water and scrubbed with a small nylon brush. I let them dry and then went back to the real stubborn spots with a sprayer of bleach and water and scrubbed again. Once everything was totally dry (overnight) I gave them a quick once-over with the mouse sander to smooth any wood grain that was raised up from the water. I bought a very small can of stain at Home Depot, I believe it was a stain and sealer in one. The color is Cedar. I still have the can, will take a picture of it tonight when I get home and send on to you. I gave them a couple of coats. Same thing for the handle."

This reminds me of the mistake I made back in the late 90s when I refurbed the wooden slats on my Genesis 2. I had the black grease stains on the wooden slats of the work surface, and instead of trying to sand/wash/bleach them out, I just picked an opaque barn-red paint-like stain and covered the black spots. Wish I'd done what Lori did. Maybe someday...

UPDATE

Here's a photo of the stain Lori used. It's PPG Timeless Advanced Penetrating Oil Technology Stain & Sealant In One in Cedar color. Label also says, "Transparent Penetrating Wood Oil for Decks, Fences & Siding". She bought it at The Home Depot.

G2KlUOe.jpg

They really came out nice Chris. I bet she used the same thing I did basically a deck stain its a Behr product waterproof and stain sealer. I used redwood in a semi cause I wanted a bit more color the way those slats look guessing she used the clear in cedar and they sure look great. Sample cans 8 oz for about 8 bucks, I got a quart for 16 because I am using it for other projects but the 8 oz should be more than enough for the slats.

Another pretty redhead grill given a new lease on life! She did a great job, and the perfect wood is a testament to her hard work seeing it through.

Great follow-up, thanks Chris.

So she used the original wood. Do we know what wood came with these grills originally?

Great follow-up, thanks Chris.

So she used the original wood. Do we know what wood came with these grills originally?

I believe that Weber used cedar for the whole time they offered stained wood slats. At some point I think they switched to painted wood (before switching again to the plastic durawood). I wouldn’t be surprised if the painted wood was not cedar.

Really nice restoration! Amazing that she was able to get the original wood cleaned up and refinished like new, makes me want to give that a shot!

She really did an excellent job if I had known about that product might have used it as I was looking for an all in one. Learn something new everyday happy with what I used but that would have been a more natural look.

Yep, I don't think I have seen a Genny 1000 with wood that was salvageable. Maybe a few of the pieces, but certainly not the whole grill. It must be fairly rare to have original wood on one of them.

Back