Silver C

SteveR

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, picked up this silver C yesterday after i avoided a silver B with a rusted frame thanks to a few members on here. Ended up paying 55 for this one, already ordered grates, burners, a thermometer and new flavorizers. It is missing the swing up table on the left which isnt a huge deal for me, I would replace it if the price was right. Does anyone know where i can get fasteners for the side burner lid? Also the side burner when on low the flame is about 5 inches high, Im assuming thats not normal? Thanks in advance!

Does the whole grill get way too hot?

The reason I'm asking is because there is a slight (VERY slight) possibility that your grill once was natural gas, and was "converted" to propane. If that is the case (again highly, highly unlikely) then you will have too much propane shooting out of the burners, causing very, very hot grill temps.

How hot does the grill itself get on "low"?

Also, sometimes under the control panel you can see information about your grill, like serial number and fuel type. Might be worth having a look to see if it says Liquid Propane or Natural Gas.

Slainte!

Tim

PS: Nice grill!

Does the whole grill get way too hot?

The reason I'm asking is because there is a slight (VERY slight) possibility that your grill once was natural gas, and was "converted" to propane. If that is the case (again highly, highly unlikely) then you will have too much propane shooting out of the burners, causing very, very hot grill temps.

How hot does the grill itself get on "low"?

Also, sometimes under the control panel you can see information about your grill, like serial number and fuel type. Might be worth having a look to see if it says Liquid Propane or Natural Gas.

Slainte!

Tim

PS: Nice grill!

Tim, unfortunately it seems that is the case, what do i do now?

Doesn't look like it has a weight scale if it doesn't very well could be a Ng converted to LP. Looks to be in pretty nice condition.

The easiest thing is to see if you can find a propane manifold for the grill. You can search online etc. Another thing you can do is look for a whole 'nother grill that is definitely propane. You can find them cheap / free if you look online every day. This time of year is good for that. Then just swap that manifold in. I'm not sure what the compatibility of the various models are manifold-wise, but there are many on this board who are sure. Perhaps they will chime in :)

Unfortunately, you can't do a modification to your manifold to make it safe for propane. You can go from propane to NG, but not back. LMichaels has written extensively about that.

Good luck!

Tim

Another option would be to run a gas line out there! Do you have gas service?

I run my grill on natural gas, and LOVE it. No tank by the grill, no tank refills, it's great!

If that's the case you can change out the manifold to a LP one. Maybe someone has one they took off a parts grill. Beware though a manifold off the 1000s earlier ones won't fit as the valve spacing is different and the manifold brackets also.

Another option would be to run a gas line out there! Do you have gas service?

I run my grill on natural gas, and LOVE it. No tank by the grill, no tank refills, it's great!

Unfortunately I do not have access to a gas line, Ill keep looking, it seems im pretty good at wasting money haha. Again thank you.

Keep checking back here too. I'm pretty sure someone may have one laying around. There are a few guys who rehab these grills regularly, and often end up with "parts" grills. Manifolds, generally speaking, are pretty durable and are usually fine, so maybe someone will offer you one.

Just remember, SteveR, you need the manifold from a C. The B manifold isn't going to have the side burner connection.

Just remember, SteveR, you need the manifold from a C. The B manifold isn't going to have the side burner connection.

Thanks, at this point it seems like it’s hard to find the C manifold. I may have to eat the 55 dollars and get another Weber off Craigslist.

Steve, do you have a piece of 16 gauge wire if not go to home depot buy a foot for most likely less than 2 bucks. The 16 gauge will fit in the orifice of a natural gas manifold it will not fit in a propane orifice only a 18 gauge will fit. I bought a 1000 that did not have enough knowledge all they did was stick a propane regulator on the manifold same problem a flame thrower. The giveaway was that it had no tank scale but sometimes they were properly converted with a new manifold. The wire will be the answer.

That model looks like it has the continuous valves which were a 270 sweep trying to avoid the wrath of Larry but if that is the case orifices can be bought drilled they make you buy a regulator but there are many posts on here on where to buy them.

Thanks, at this point it seems like it’s hard to find the C manifold. I may have to eat the 55 dollars and get another Weber off Craigslist.

Steve,

Let me give you a little advice from at least some of my own personal experience all learned the very hard way. This grill restoration hobby can be a lot of fun and very rewarding. It can also quickly turn into a big money drain (and marital discord, too!). The big lesson I am still trying to learn is to BE PATIENT! There are good deals out there; you just have to weed through and ignore others that may look good but aren't. And you have to be willing to wait. It is also true that you can buy virtually every part you need brand new. The only problem with that is by the time you are done you could have bought a perfectly restored grill for less (see some that our members have listed for sale at modest prices) or even be close to buying an all-new grill:(.

Now that you already have this decent looking Silver C, I am suggesting you don't over-react just because you got snookered on the prior owner's botched LP conversion. You can definitely get help here on this forum for parts, but it isn't like ordering on Amazon or Weber. You will have to give members a chance to respond. Trading and buying from members who truly want to see you succeed is going to be way cheaper. That isn't to say you shouldn't have your eyes open for "donor" grills if you plan to do more restores, but I would hate to see you dump more $ than is needed to get your Silver C working - and looking - the way you want.

I will see if I have anything in my inventory that might be of some help. It will take me a while!

Steve, if you are buying a manifold off anyone on this site, just ask them to take a picture of the manifold, top and bottom. Many of them have the spot for the side burner plugged, so you may very well be able to use a B for your C. Just ask for a picture of the bottom of it.

2 cents

Back