Nut Wood and Allergies

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
Hello All

First time poster here. I have been smoking for about 3 years now and have not ventured to far into many different kinds of woods. I have used hickory and apple. I looking to expand my wood inventory and I have a question about some of the nut woods Pecan specifically. My son is allergic to pecans and pistachios. Has anyone ever had any experience with nut allergies and using nut wood. I am doing my due diligence, researching online and see what information is out there as well. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject I am interested in knowing what you know.

Hello All

First time poster here. I have been smoking for about 3 years now and have not ventured to far into many different kinds of woods. I have used hickory and apple. I looking to expand my wood inventory and I have a question about some of the nut woods Pecan specifically. My son is allergic to pecans and pistachios. Has anyone ever had any experience with nut allergies and using nut wood. I am doing my due diligence, researching online and see what information is out there as well. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject I am interested in knowing what you know.

Pecan is very closely related to hickory and is actually considered a type of hickory. My thinking is that if hickory is ok, pecan should be ok. However, I am not a doctor and don't have allergies. Oak is also a nut wood. I absolutely adore pecan, but I've been on an oak kick lately.

I would consult your sons doctor as a safety point, it's unfortunate all kinds of so called experts are on the internet. A lot would depend on how bad the reaction may be if it did affect him. If that's all it is with pecan and pistachios I would certainly steer clear of those.
My grandson is highly reactive to peanuts, his dad carry's an epi pen with him at all time.

And please let us know what the professional has to say...I'm interested to find out! I'm guessing the answer is "we don't know".

And please let us know what the professional has to say...I'm interested to find out! I'm guessing the answer is "we don't know".

No doubt about that. After two surgeries on my foot to resolve(hopefully) one problem, I now understand why they call it "practicing medicine."

Hickory trees produce nuts as well. Some locals call them hickory *nut* trees.

Interesting thread.

I don't think so. My daughter has nut allergies so I understand your concern. And she is allergic to pecans and walnuts. Nut allergies are reactions to the oils and proteins within the nut. Since the tree that the nut grows from does not contain oil or proteins, but rather cellulose, hemicellulose and lignins (polymer), I don't think you should worry. You can extract resins, fatty acids and turpentine from wood but again, it isn't the same stuff as what is in the nut.

I cook with pecan and we don't have problems at home. If you wanted to be super careful, maybe remove the bark from your wood pile.

They sure do, just ask squirrels or Euell.

I remember the commercial, but that's about it. Didn't know folks ate hickory nuts.

Used to squirrel hunt years ago, and early in the season, we always looked for hickory nut trees because their leaves turned color early - and of course, Mr. squirrel was always there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :cool:

I don't think so. My daughter has nut allergies so I understand your concern. And she is allergic to pecans and walnuts. Nut allergies are reactions to the oils and proteins within the nut. Since the tree that the nut grows from does not contain oil or proteins, but rather cellulose, hemicellulose and lignins (polymer), I don't think you should worry. You can extract resins, fatty acids and turpentine from wood but again, it isn't the same stuff as what is in the nut.

I cook with pecan and we don't have problems at home. If you wanted to be super careful, maybe remove the bark from your wood pile.

Yes, what she said! I'll put my trust in the R&D Scientist! :D

I am seriously allergic to shell fish of all kinds (any crustacean). The fumes from cooking shrimp can set off an asthma attack and eating the meat causes my throat to swell shut:(. Black walnut wood is toxic and is was often used for grain bins in this part of the country because insects and worms couldn't bother the grain. I was visiting a friend during the Christmas Holidays and he was burning wood in his fireplace. The fireplace was not drawing well and breathing the smoke set off an asthma attack. The wierd part about it is that other than the named situations, I don't have asthma.

So, I would not under any circumstances use walnut for smoke wood. Understand, I am NOT allergic to nuts of any kind, even walnuts and I regularly eat them. It is just the smoke that is toxic to me. I have not had any adverse reaction to any other smoke wood (hickory, mesquite, oak, cherry, apple, pecan, etc.)

FWIW
Dale53

I never considered using walnut as a smoke wood the tannins et al. are known to be toxic so that’s an easy one to let go by for me. One Thanksgiving a buddy called me proudly announcing he’d put some mahogany on to smoke a turkey! I told him to hang up and get that stuff out of there immediately! It’s another in the “questionable” column, as an instrument or furniture or boat building material many beautiful woods work, as smoking media? Not as many. It pays to be careful.

Back