R.I.P. Red

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
As a kid my favorite two Cardinal players were Stan the Man Musial, and Red "Mr Cardinal" Schoendienst, now both are gone.
Stan in 2013 at the age of 92, and Red yesterday at 95.
Red had worn a Major League uniform for 74 consecutive years as a player, manager, coach, and served 67 of his 76 years in baseball with the Cardinals.

He is in the Hall of Fame, a World Series winning player & manager, coach, and 10 time All Star.
He also served our country during WWII.
Just like Stan, he was one hell of a good human being and sadly missed.

SchoendienstRed.jpg

Last edited:
These guys were a little before my time, but their names are recognizable.

I saw a movie about the great Dizzy Dean.

What a resume. Red was certainly one of the greats. I remember him along with many others of his era. Today's players could not go wrong following the example he left behind, both as a player/coach and as a person.

Red is also on the Milwaukee Braves Honor Roll.
https://brewers.mlblogs.com/red-sch...o-the-milwaukee-braves-honor-roll-625c172f3bd

"He was acquired by the Milwaukee Braves in a midseason trade from the Giants in 1957 and led the National League with 200 hits that season. His acquisition by the Braves played an integral role in claiming the 1957 World Series championship. The following season, Schoendienst appeared in 106 games for the Braves as he helped lead Milwaukee to a second straight pennant."

red-schoendienst.jpg

Last edited:
As a kid I would ride the Grand Ave, bus to Sportsmans Park to watch those guys. My lawn cutting money went to those excursions when I could get Mom to drop me off at the end of the bus run. I liked Red and Stan but also Enos Slaughter and Marty Marion. Good examples for kids of my era.

Back